Rehab

Craig's parents drop him off at the rehab center and then speed away.

"Guess they aren't walking me in."

Craig sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. "Let's get this over with."

The door opens to a huge room that is almost all beige. It really just looked like a classroom but on a larger scale. 

There was a check-in desk. And behind it, in the center of the big room, was a circle of foldable chairs.

Craig approaches the counter. "I'm here for rehab therapy?" 

The lady behind the desk smiles. "Name?"

"Craig Tucker."

"Alright, you're all checked in! Let me get you another therapy member to show you around."

She looks around for a moment before calling out to someone.

"McCormick!"

A boy in an orange coat walks up to Craig, he knew this kid.

"Kenny?"

"Craig Tucker. What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story."

"I guess you'll have plenty of time to explain when group therapy starts. Follow me. I'll show you around and explain some of the rules."

They start walking around the big room. Kenny points to little areas and explains their purpose, throwing in rules every now and then.

"You can't bring any food or drinks in here. And you have to put your phone in a little box before every therapy session. They say it's for focus and comfort but I think it's just cause they don't want us to try recording them."

"Dumb rule."

"Yep. Oh! And you'll have to pee into a cup every week, it's a substance test."

Kenny finishes showing Craig around. They take a seat on a couch area that's in the corner of the room while they wait.

"I got here early thinking I would need to fill the paperwork out or something."

"Nah, the only paperwork you get is after you leave."

 Craig lays his head back, "I'm looking forward to it."

"So, what do you use?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what's your substance? You're here for a reason."

"I don't actively do drugs, I'm here because of a complicated situation."

"Sure, so what drug caused your 'complicated situation'?"

"Meth."

"Damn, dude. I didn't think you would be a meth head. I totally assumed it was weed or something."

"What about you?"

"Alcohol. I got into it in middle school from my parents and then I never stopped."

"How long have you been going here?"

"About a year, I keep relapsing so they keep starting me over."

"Have you considered actually stopping?"

"Well, yeah. Life wouldn't be anywhere near as fun though. I don't wanna fight an irresistible urge my whole life just because other people don't like it."

"I guess that makes sense."

The person who was at the front desk called everyone into the circle for group therapy.

-

The day goes more or less how Kenny told Craig it was going to go. The 3 hours were very boring to Craig.

Once they are free to go, he steps out and stretches. 

Kenny catches up to him.

"Wait, dude! Here, let me give you my number. Nice to have people my age in the group. We should hang out more."

Craig smiles politely and accepts Kenny's number.

Kenny starts off on his bike. They both wave goodbye to each other.