Chapter 9: Vacation

It's two months before the wedding. Fatima is getting all the wedding things together. She has been stressed the last few weeks with school coming to an end and the wedding coming up. She just wanted to go somewhere to relax. Away from everything.

Before she gets in bed she texted her new friend.

Fatima: Hey bud.

Friend: Hey T, what's up?

Fatima: Nothing much. Just been a long day. I could use a vacation.

Friend: I would love to take you somewhere nice, but your Fiancé wouldn't approve of that.

Fatima: 😔

Friend: Don't give me that sad face.

She and Zac have been keeping in touch, but nothing has happened since the kiss. They've just been friends, texting, and calling each other on the phone. She and Paris had stopped looking for a house until they could find something they both liked.

Friend: Ooh, I can't wait to see you again. You know my birthday is coming up.

Fatima: For real? I can't believe you didn't tell me. When is it?

Friend: It's next Friday.

Fatima: Aww man. I'll have to get you something.

Friend: Naw I just want to see you.

The two text back and forth for a few more minutes and then go to bed. Fatima can't help but think about Zac.

Two days later Fatima is leaving school when her car decides to act up. She called her dad, but he didn't answer. Then she thought of calling Paris but thought against it and called Zac. He answered on the first ring.

"Yo T, what's going on? Shouldn't you be in class?"

"I just finished. Are you busy?"

"Never too busy for you," he said checking his schedule to see what else he had scheduled.
Nothing but a phone meeting at 4:00. Good I can do that from anywhere. He thought.

"I'm stranded. My car won't start."

"Text me the address and I'll head over there."

She does what she's told.

"Oh, I know where that's at. I can be there in 15-20 minutes. Are you somewhere safe? Do you want to stay on the phone until I get there?"

"I'm good," she said. I will see you when you get here."

They hang up and her dad calls.

"Hey baby, are you ok?" Asked her dad.

"I'm good now, I was having car trouble, but I have someone that's going to help me."

"Ok, sweetheart. Stay safe and I love you."

"I love you too.

Zac arrives exactly 15 minutes later.

He pulls up right next to her and then removes his dress shirt to reveal a black tank shirt. Then he starts to look under her hood.

Hmm, he is looking good. Showing all his muscles.

"It looks like you need a new battery, let me jump it to see if it would start," he gets in his truck and pulls it in front of hers. Then gives her a jump; it works.

"This old thing keeps giving me trouble." Said, Fatima. "I'm trying to finish school before I buy a new one. Thank you, friend."

"No problem, but I need you to follow me to the auto store." They go to the auto parts store to pick up another battery and then to his house.

Once they arrive at his house, he tells her to turn the car off and then on again, "See every time you turn it off it won't turn back on, so you need a new battery. Let me go in and change clothes and then I'll fix it. Come make yourself at home." He goes in and changes and then returns with shorts on.

"Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing, it's no problem. That's what friends are for," he jokes.

"Seriously Zac. I have the money."

"And I do too." He walks up to Fatima. "Look I like you. I don't mind doing things for people I like. Now let me put this battery in so you can go home."

After about 45 minutes he is done.

"Thank you so much, Zachary. I at least owe you lunch."

"I will hold you to that."

She gets in her car and leaves.

When Friday comes, she remembers his birthday. First, she calls the office to see if he was at work. The receptionist confirmed.

She picks up some Zaxby's and an individual cake from Nothing Bundt Cake. She then rushes to the office before he leaves or goes on lunch break.

Yes, he's still here. She thought. She goes in and the receptionist pages Zac.

The receptionist. "Zac, you have a visitor."

"Send them up."

She goes to his office. "Happy Birthday, Zachary!"

"Thank you," he stands up and hugs her.

"This is for you."

"Aww, you didn't have to, but thank you." He takes the food. "Would you like to join me?"

"Since it's your birthday, I guess I can stay for a little while."

They spend a couple of minutes catching up. "How's the wedding planning going?" Zac continues to bring it up as a reminder to himself that she is unavailable.

Fatima is a little upset that he brought that up. "It's coming along. The day is almost here."

"Yep, you'll be a married woman." Zac's facial expression was saddened. "You know our friendship is going to have to end right? I don't want to be involved with a married woman; It's too tempting. So, before you get married, we will have to cut all contact unless you're buying a house."

"Or you need a lawyer," Fatima jokes.

The room is silent for a minute. Zac begins to eat his food.

Fatima breaks the silence. "I was thinking." She takes a long pause. "I'm not married yet."

"What does that mean Fatima." At this point, Zac is really confused.

"You remember that vacation I said I desperately needed?" Fatima asked. "Maybe we can go somewhere together."

Zac stops eating and stands up. "Um no T, do you hear yourself? Does that sound like a wise idea?" He just stares at her.

"Maybe I want something to happen. Ok look, I know it sounds crazy and you don't get it. I'm a 29-year-old virgin that is about to get married in less than two months." Zac is still looking confused. "I don't want to be anymore; I mean I want to see what else is out there before I decide to give it to just one person for the rest of my life."

"I still don't get it," said Zac. "Maybe you shouldn't get married then."

"Men do it all the time. Get one more nut in from some random right before their wedding day. Don't they?" Fatima asked not sure of what she is saying. "Look I don't want to be curious my whole marriage about what sex may feel like with another person besides my husband. That's how people start cheating. Maybe this will help me find out if I'm making a mistake or not."

This can go all the way left once I'm done with you. You won't be marrying that nigga. He thought to himself. "Fatima, you know your feelings for me will never be the same once sex is involved. Are you sober because you don't sound like you're in your right mind?"

Fatima gets up and tongues Zac down. "Make the arrangements for next weekend. Anywhere, is fine with me. See you then." She walks out of the office. 

She gets in her car and thinks to herself. Am I losing it? I mean what did I just do in there?