careful what you wish for, love

As the car pulled up to our destination, I could tell moving from the beach to the lake was the best idea to have come across Bethany's little head.

Trees were everywhere rather than all the previous times where it was clear pathways and sand. There was a small open area for the cars to park, cleverly lined with long tree trunks and beyond that, was where the tents would be set up. It was about the size of a small football field and faced out to the breathtaking view of the clear, blue lake.

"The water looks amazing." El perked her head up and looked out the window to take in the scene. Her eyes focused on a spot out the window which I couldn't make out as she smiled to herself.

"Woah, it's so clear," We both rolled down our windows as we came to a stop beside other cars and camper vans.

"Lookin' good, Fletcher" Jaspers head popped into my window as I unbuckled my belt. A delicate chuckle escaped my lips while doing so.

"Wish I could say the same." I grinned up at him and slung my small bag over my shoulder before stepping out into the pool of heat that lay at my ankles.

"I was talking about the lake, don't flatter yourself babe" He scoffed. I couldn't help but notice the tight vest snugly clinging to his torso. My eyes trailed down to his shoes then back up to his face. He had changed a lot since Christmas. His hair which previously framed his face in long locks was now cut short and quiffed up.

"Perhaps I can say the same," I mumbled, watching him grin in amusement at my little trance.

Jasper and I were a different set all together. Constant flirting is two words to describe our friendship. And while it's all banter, he always takes it too far. Far enough for everyone to think we were secretly hooking up all last year.

"Look what the cat dragged in"

"Cats got good taste then," Jasper hoisted his arm and snaked it around my waist as Kate continued to walk up.

She rolled her eyes and pushed his shoulder slightly, causing him to release me from his grip and step back.

"It's been ages" I breathed out. We both found ourselves wrapped in each other's arms, swaying back and forth. Her blonde hair blew into my face every now and then but I didn't mind, I missed her so much.

We were neighbours for as long as I could remember up until she moved a few miles away. We would catch up here and there but if I'm being honest, she wasn't someone I would run to when I needed someone to talk to but the absence between us did tend to catch up on me whenever we were reunited.

"Mae, come on. You've got another thing coming if you think I'm pitching this thing by myself." Beth hollered from the car as she continued to drag the tent along the gravel.

"Alright, alright," I picked up the other side and waved off to Kate as we trudged down to the grass.

"Here, this is a good spot." Just as the words left my mouth, a group of guys dropped their things in the spot I had chosen.

"Excuse me, I think you dropped your bags," I bent down after placing the bags and tent down on the ground before picking one of their bags up and handing it to them.

"Actually, I tink' they're fine where they are. Your things look a little displaced though, love"

The fucking nerve.

"No, no." I chuckled and plopped the bag into his arms. My bets were that Beth invited them. She usually hung out with assholes in school.

He pushed me back gently by the shoulder then put his bag back and really, I was just going to leave it until he did that.