that pretty face of yours

It was a bright Saturday morning, brighter than usual for October. I held one of the neighbours dogs in one hand and a coffee in the other as I walked through the park. I had started walking dogs on the weekends now for extra cash, until I got a job at least.

I fell in love with Tommy, though. His beautiful brown curly fur was hit by the sunlight and I was in awe, dogs were so lovely. They truly were. I smiled and encouraged him to keep walking as I admired the scenery. I never took the time to actually do things like this. I never pictured myself as this type of person- walking a dog at noon through a park, who even am I.

I neared a bench and decided to sit. Tommy sat beside me, tongue flopping out of his mouth as he panted. I forgot his water. I scratched his head gently and then reached for my phone. I saw a few texts in the groupchat but ignored, only one notification catching my eye.

'Harry_Edward has requested to follow you."

My fingers clicked it fast, and I opened up the notification quickly. Why did he want to see my Instagram? I thought to myself quietly and clicked on his own profile. It seemed new, but he had at least thirty posts. I scrolled down, going to his oldest one.

He had on a red beanie and a flannel shirt, leaning against someone - or something. I smiled faintly. It was taken on the camping trip. It was all just pictures of him, some of him at parties with some friends, others of him and a girl. I kept seeing this girl throughout his feed and eventually clicked on one of them, seeing who was tagged. "Aria." I said aloud.

She was stunning. She had pale, clear skin and big brown eyes. Her hair was red, a full red, but it suited her so well. Her smile stretched as well as Harry's and I read the date. The 17th of January. That was around when he moved in, around my birthday. I clicked to other photos of them, he never captioned them.

His page was a typical teen boys, and I clicked 'accept.' No harm done, it was just Instagram.

I noticed Tommy's heavy panting and decided maybe to head home, get him some water. He followed tiredly and I sipped on my drink, watching the leaves fall to the ground around me and the roads become colourful. Green, brown, red, yellow. It was amazing.

I returned tommy, getting my money - and a generous tip, then returned home.

"Ooh, la la." My dad echoed. He watched my mum effortlessly step out of the car. She was gorgeous, always was. And my dad always counted himself lucky. So he damn should.

"Steve, I'm so tired. Don't do this." She whined. I don't think they even noticed me until Reece got out and grimaced at me. "Ew." Was all he said.

I rolled my eyes and walked into the garden, running to my dad. "Hi, Paw." I smiled. I hadn't seen them for three days, which usually I would be grateful for but right now, I didn't appreciate the empty house. He smiled and returned the hug before going back to bringing in the luggage.

My mums arms replaced his, I thought it was a hug, but clearly not. She whined and held onto my arm as we walked through the door. "My feet are so sore. My headddd." She groaned.

"Don't listen to her. She danced for four hours straight, she brought it on herself." My dad argued.

"Dad, cut her some slack." I scoffed. I walked her to the couch and she sighed in relief. "Anne should be here soon." She sighed out.

My mum and Anne had gotten so close since she moved in. If I was friends with Harry, I'd love it. Right now it's just a constant reminder of who's next door. Anne was lovely though, so I couldn't never dislike her.

I took a shopping bag from my dads hand and headed to the kitchen, still talking to my mum. "What for?" My eyebrows raised and I put the bag on the counter. Eyes resting on some croissants and I groaned internally. I was starving.

"She's just having coffee. A catch up." I nodded, disinterested as I began to make myself some food. I plated up two croissants and sliced them open, putting ham and cheese in the middle. I let them grill and listened to my mother and father bicker as I poured some water. Just as I sat, Anne walked through looking quite glamorous.

I took a bite of my food and watched my mum follow her into the kitchen. "Hi, Mae." Anne smiled.

I awkwardly smiled back, having a mouth full of food. I stuck my thumb up and looked to my phone. Minding my own business, something this family hadn't the skill of.

Anne made small talk with my mum, whilst my dad went off somewhere with Reece.

"Harry is just so upset." Anne sobbed. It took me awhile to realise Anne was tearful, almost in a warm embrace with my mum. My eyes widened slightly. Should I like, leave?

I listened carefully, too scared to move in case I  seemed rude. Her voice came out in soft sobs.

"She was lovely. He only told me today, and I finally know why he's changed so much." Her sobs got harder and I decided to quickly leave, seeing as my mother was ushering me to with her eyes.

She knows why he changed? I walked to the stairs slowly. Still so curious. I could only hear them mumbling, and then my mum joking about some alcohol. I huffed and sat on my bed. So there was something that hurt him. She said he was upset, and it's why he's changed. Well, thank god. I thought. Someone fucking noticed the change.

I played on my phone for a bit, until a text came through.

Harry_edward: Thanks for helping me the other night.

I smiled at this. He was being nice. I clicked on it fast, reading over it again in the DMs. I quickly typed a reply.

Mae_Rose_: you're welcome. Are you okay?

I bit my lip as I waited for him to see it. Last time I asked him that, he walked off. I saw delivered change to seen and I tapped out of the conversation so fast. How awkward would it be if I saw it straight away. Yikes.

Harry_Edward: Amazing.

I frowned. That wasn't what I was expecting. He was still blunt, I see. I didn't reply straight away, and was tempted not to altogether. But I did anyways.

Mae_Rose_: What happened? You looked pretty bad.

I knew he was most likely not going to answer. I shrugged and waited anyways, smiling when I saw he sent a photo. I clicked for it to open.

Harry_Edward: still do.
Attachment.

I opened it up and grimaced. His nose had some stitches on the side, so did his lip. His black eye was quite noticeable and I could only imagine what the rest of him looked like. But then I remembered, Harry. I'm talking to Harry again. I felt accomplished, like I had broken a wall between us. He wasn't being rude, and actually was following the conversation.

Mae_Rose_: Ouch.

Harry_Edward: mhm.

I bit my lip. What was I supposed to even say to that? 

Mae_Rose_: how come you followed me, by the way? I thought you hated me.

Harry_Edward: Hate is a strong word. Besides, I wanted to see that pretty face.

Heat rose to my cheeks and I read the message over again and again. What? I triple checked it, making sure it was Harry's account, and he said it correctly. I'm not sure as to why I cared so much, but my stomach had butterflies. Too many.

I rose up off my bed and looked to his window, only to see him sitting out on his roof, staring into mine. He looked so hurt. His bruises, cuts, stitches. It all looked so painful. His eyes weren't pained though, instead they gleamed under the sun while he stared at me. I wondered if he had been there the whole time, but I wasn't sure. And I was half tempted to climb out and join him. But I don't think that would have ended well. At all.