Prom II

I sat in a photo booth with Harry, who was very much drunk at this stage of the night. His suit jacket was gone and I almost wondered where it was, but I myself was too drunk to care.

As we smiled for our pictures, I recalled complete happiness. Fully aware of the fact I was drunk- I was the perfect level of intoxicated. I knew what I was doing and knew where I was, but I was buzzing with happiness and had no cares in the world.

I sat on Harry's knee happily and we both laughed giddily with each flash, pulling different poses and enjoying ourselves. I had heard all these disaster stories about prom and dreaded going but this is amazing. I couldn't see how anyone would not enjoy it.

Harry seemed happy too. The whole night, since we finished dinner and were escorted to the nightclub, he was chatting away and being very loving. Speaking of feeling very loving, I had to pry his hands from my dress as he attempted to trail his hands up under my skirt while we posed. I laughed and told him to stop, which he did. We fell out of that booth happy and joyful, and suddenly the starting notes of a familiar song began to play.

Harry looked at me and smirked. "Care to dance?" He asked me. I stared into his bloodshot eyes and took his extended hand, nodding. "Of course,"

I was never one for slow dances. But maybe that's because I never had anyone to do it with. Harry gently led me to the dance floor, where lots of other people already were dancing in the pairs.

We began to sway, and we were very bad at it, but as I looked into my sweet Harry's eyes I didn't worry about how we looked. My mind was on him and him only, I aimed to stay that way. I laughed quietly as he sang along to the words with false passion and spun me around. 

With his hands on my waist and mine around his neck, he pulled me close. His hair tickled my forehead as he stared down at me as if I was the most special thing he had ever laid his eyes on. Maybe I was, maybe he felt the same way about me as I felt about him- which seemed crazy to me, because never in my life would I be capable of knowing someone truly loved me. I began to think about everything from the past year;  We have come so far and I was always reminding myself of that but truly thinking about it, I was so grateful that he was in my life. I depended on him now for the feeling of happiness and that's all I needed, he was my happiness. And I was happy, and I hoped he was too. As I watched his facial expressions change, I admired his beauty in its purest form; happy Harry.

"You look so gorgeous." He suddenly spoke. I cracked a smile and felt my heart skip a beat. His fingers grazed over my chin momentarily and as he was about to say something else, we were interrupted. 

"Mae, Beth is looking for you." Someone told me. I was very confused but nodded to the strange guy. I had never seen him before and had questions, but asked for her location and headed up to her with Harry. Harry was by my side, hands joined together. As we jogged up the stairs, the music faded. I pushed through the doors of the smoking area and immediately spotted her in the corner crying, a few people around her. 

As I hiked up my dress I ran towards her, fearing the worst for my friend. And as I pushed through I felt the presence of Harry behind me. I was glad he was helping but sometimes I needed him to give a little space. I grabbed Beth's arm and pulled her towards me, "Everyone can leave." I told them all. They shrugged and left, and I sat down with Beth. Her mascara had run down her face to her chest, smudging not only her makeup but her tan.

"Beth, what happened?" I tried asking her. Her small arms tried to push me away so I took hold of them and held them by her side. "Wheres Casper?" I asked her, starting to look around. Maybe he could do something. But this only seemed to upset her more and she rapidly shook her head. "I don't want anything to do with him." She yelled at me. 

I was a bit taken aback and looked at Harry but he looked just as surprised as me. I knelt down to her now, tilting her chin up with my hand. "What happened?"

She began to try and compose herself by wiping her cheeks dry, looking at me and then Harry with teary eyes. She was clearly drunk, and I was beginning to think that that was a factor of her state. 

"We had a fight." She told me. I sighed out of annoyance. I told her he wasn't right for her, I saw this coming. I didn't say anything after that and instead began to pull her up to her feet. "Come on, we're going home," I said. It was late anyway and she looked exhausted, and in no state to stay up any longer. 

"I can't go home like this." She insisted. I nodded.  Harry helped me to keep her up on her feet. "You'll stay at my house," I told her. I was slightly pissed off I was left babying her now but I know she would have done it for me. As we hauled her out of the venue and towards the taxis, I could hear Harry mumble things to her about how he was going to kill Casper and such, so I kicked his leg and told him to shut up. 

"I'm coming with you," Harry told me as I lowered Beth into the car. I sighed, "It's okay, stay for awhile. Louis and Niall are still here. Enjoy your night." I told him. 

He shook his head. "I'm not leaving two girls in a taxi alone at midnight." He warned. 

"Hey, man. Not cool" The taxi man argued. Harry only shrugged at him. 

It was a staring match between Harry and myself as I sat in the back seat, slowly closing the door. I didn't want to ruin the night for Harry, he was looking forward to it all month. He looked at me with daring eyes while I sheepishly looked back until the door was fully closed. Rolling the window down, I smiled at him. "Please go enjoy yourself. Please." I begged. 

He sighed out, rather angrily and mumbled a whatever before heading back in. Perfect, now Harry was mad at me, on top of everything else. 

It was a long car ride back to my house, nothing compared to the fun one I had with Harry on the way up here. It was silent and awkward as Beth slept on my lap and the driver played unheard of songs through his phone.  When we were dropped home I gave him some cash and hauled Beth's ass to my door, where Becca greeted us in her pyjamas. 

"I can't believe this." She laughed. "Usually you're supposed to be fucking someone in the toilets at this time but instead you're carrying your friend to your bed because shes wasted while your boyfriend parties on." 

She taunted me for another while, and I couldn't help but laugh too. I was such a sad excuse for a teenager sometimes. Becca helped me take Beth's dress off and get into some of my clothes and then I did the same. I was totally exhausted. I didn't bother wiping my makeup off or anything, I just sunk into my mattress beside Beth and texted Harry that we were home safe. 

I had the most excruciating headache, so all that was left for me to do was try and sleep.