be with me

Christmas was gone just as expeditious as it came, and we were currently in that gap where no one kenned what day it was and fathers commenced their drinking at 10 am because it's 'Christmas'.  We were all just waiting for New Year's Eve now, but I was especially looking forward to today. It was Wednesday, only a few days afore New Years, but I was diligently planning a party with Harry. Ever since that night on my bed, we've been virtually inseparable. While Anne, Robin and Gemma and her boyfriend made plans to peregrinate to a hotel for the night and have dinner, Harry offered to stay back, and unknowingly to his parents, throw a pre-NYE bash.

We were currently chilling on his couch, waiting for his family to leave. I scrolled through my phone aimlessly, bored out of my mind as Harry flicked through a few channels. Anne and Robin had already left, it was just Gemma and Matty, her boyfriend. Harry was sat upright on the couch, and me, my back was leaning against his side. My head cocked slightly backwards on his shoulder. 

'Is she ever gonna leave?' I groaned. 

'Patience is a virtue, sweet cheeks.' Harry replied. He continued to flick through channels until Gemma's heels began to create a clicking sound all through the house. Harry and I perked up, waiting for her to come and announce she was leaving. 

'About bloody time.' Harry scoffed. He stood up from his spot on the couch and I did too. My socks slid against the polished wooden floors as I shuffled over to Gemma and Harry. With pursed lips, Gemma rolled her eyes at her brother and shrugged while digging through her purse. 'It takes time to look this good, you wouldn't know.' She retorted. 

Harry scoffed again. 'You're right because quite frankly, I wake up like this.' He motioned to his face and Gemma and myself both began to laugh. I pat him on the shoulder and sat down on the bar stool on the island in the kitchen. 'Why lie to yourself, Harry?' I challenged. 

'I'll deal with you later.' He warned. I smirked and picked at some of the loose threads on the sleeve of my jumper while Gemma said her goodbyes, and with a click of her heels, she was gone. 

'We have three hours to plan this shit,' Harry said, hands on his hips. We both looked around at the neat, boring house and grimaced. There was so much to put away so that it wouldn't be broken and so much space that needed to be cleared for drink and snacks. Also, he needed some plastic cups because currently, he had three. 'I'm gonna go to the store.'

I nodded and got up, ready to leave with him, but he put a hand on my chest and snickered. 'Where are you going?' He taunted me. I stared at him confused as to why I wasn't being let leave. I removed his hand from my chest and wiped the fabric he touched as if telling him he was dirty. 'To the store with you?' I said it as if it were so painfully obvious. And it was, what the hell else was I going to do?

'No, babe. I need you to get rid of some stuff and put a few bits away. Will you?' He smiled gently at the end as if trying to make me fall for it, and I did. I nodded and expressed my reluctance with a loud, exaggerated sigh. 'Fine..'

He placed a very gentle kiss on my cheek and thanked me before disappearing with his car keys, leaving me to do all the work. And thinking. Our casual flirting and him calling me babe in every second sentence is what was confusing me. He told me we weren't anything- and that we didn't need to be something. Yet all he has done the past few days is cling to me and act like he was my boyfriend. Cuddling, holding hands, the nicknames and the random kisses. What was he playing at? I didn't need all of that if he was serious about not pursuing anything with me, definitely not now.

I began to put some valuables in some cupboards out of sight and cleaned down some countertops, putting the music channel on the telly for myself too to get in the mood. I was ambulating around the house like a maniac, the music making me do weird dance moves as I put things away. Anne had so many things in her house that I didn't notice until now. I made sure to put away all of the expensive things first then the vases and wine glasses that looked valuable, and finally, I was done.