milkshakes

By the end of the day I found myself sitting awkwardly in a diner El had agreed to meet up in, however she didn't show up on time. My fingers cupped my hot mug and I sipped, slowly and cautious of the hot liquid. I felt extremely anxious. Almost as if I could feel everyone staring at me, wondering why I was sitting at a table by myself with two cups. I ordered for El already, hoping she wouldn't be long.

My bag rested on the red leather seat and I reached to get it, but just as soon I heard the bell of the door chirp and I instantly relaxed into the uncomfortable leather. A smile graced my lips as El searched for me, then finally scurried my way. "Hey, boo." She said.

I scrunched my nose at the nickname and smiled, glad she was finally here. "Nice to see you showed up." I teased.

She unwrapped the wool scarf from her neck and dismissed her coat, leaving them on the seat beside her as she sat down. Her hair flicked over her shoulders and I admired how naturally straight it was, mine was already frizzy and thick, even though I had straightened it. I was always somewhat envious of El. She was stunning from head to toe, everything about her was perfect. She had gorgeous caramel skin, long legs, a beautiful smile and stunning eyes. Her hair fell over her shoulders and cascaded down her back like liquid chocolate which adorned her sweet face.

She took her cup to her lips, blowing lightly on the surface. "Avery needed...something." She winked. I gagged and crossed my legs. My hand came under my chin and elbow rested on the table as I leaned forward. "I spoke with Harry last night." A small smirk came to my lips. She raised her brows and widened her eyes slightly.

"About what?" She asked. I twirled the spoon around in my cup and thought. What did we even talk about? It wasn't much, anyways. However, I do remember him apologising, only to ruin it with his idiot like behaviour. I pressed my lips together and began, "He was really upset. Like, crying. I went to see if he was okay and well..he didn't stop me." I couldn't fight the little smile on my lips as I remembered. He hugged me back. The feeling of his lips against my neck as they moved when he spoke ignited shivers down me, as dumb as it may sound. El looked at me expectantly.

"We just hugged it out, and then he apologised." I finished. I didn't mention his rude behaviour towards the end. I knew it was just his ego, he couldn't let me win.

She remained silent for a couple more seconds, and then mimicked the position I was in. From far away, it looked as if we were in a tense conversation, however it was the opposite. A laugh erupted from her lips and she shook her head. "You never stop, do you Maelyn?" She breathed. "You and that boy, I swear. You're like that one couple who claim not to be together and fight in public, when in reality you're fucking behind closed doors."

I leaned back slightly at this. I wasn't sure where this was coming from, but a strange twinge could be felt in my stomach at the mention of us as a couple. I would be a liar if I said I never thought about it when we first met, of course I had minuscule feelings or, a crush, as you would say. But that all quickly disappeared when things changed.

I gripped my mug anxiously and waited for her to say something, but she just watched me closely with a smug smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and sat back in my seat. "That's gross." I pressed. "He just seems to be everywhere I go. It's annoying. And I'm always the one helping him, only for him to leave just as quick." I sighed.

It was true. Harry always seemed to be in some sort of trouble, or upset, and I was fast to try and help him. A small part of me cares for him deeply, maybe even just wants him to remember who he was. I groaned and let my head fall back. "My life is so weird." I huffed.

El laughed and joined me on my side of the table, putting her arm around my shoulders. "Babe, don't worry too much." Her voice was soft. I leaned my head against her shoulder and inhaled sharply, letting the air leave angrily.