passion fruit

It was almost December. Snow was starting to fall, more and more each night. Everyone was ready for it to be officially Christmas season. The small town I lived in had lit up its Christmas lights already and Santa's grotto was in town for the kids. I really did love this time of year.

It was almost eight in the evening. I was currently fixing the sleek bun in my hair for Alfie's birthday party tonight. He had no clue, which made it more exciting. He thought dad was bringing him for some drinks in the bar but really, everyone was going to be waiting there for a party. I pulled my black dress down, so it was almost touching my knees and looked over my appearance once more before I went down the stairs.

I myself did not know who was coming. I knew mum invited Anne and her family. Which, luckily for me, meant Harry. But he hasn't said anything to me about it yet. So far, it was the Styles', me, mum and dad and Becca. I met Becca in the hallway and admired her simple white dress that hugged her curves. She noticed me in the distance and asked me to help her with a button, and I did.

"Okay darlings, dad just text me. He's with Alfie and they're going to come home and get dressed before they meet us in the pub." Mum read from her phone. She stood towering over both of us. Her black heels playing in her favour. She had on a royal blue dress which went to her calves. A simple diamond necklace accompanied her chest and took all the attention.

My mum was so gorgeous, but she never saw that in herself. She lived her life worrying about flaws in herself, going on diets and working out. I never understood why, but she did. She put her phone into her purse and put on a white faux-fur throw over her shoulders before the sounds of her heels disappeared to the front door.

"A woman on a mission," Becca mumbled. She too headed to the front door after putting on a leather jacket. I followed her out, my little pink bomber jacket hooked over my forearm and my phone in the other hand. I made sure to lock the door before I walked to the car.

The car was started, but only Becca sat in it. I was about to ask where mum had disappeared to, but a loud laugh caught my attention. She stood over at Anne's door, talking to Harry's step dad. They chatted away as I got myself into the car.

"Well, little sis," Becca turned in her seat and faced me. A smirk lingered on her lips and I rolled my eyes. She was either going to talk about herself or ask a stupid, invasive question.
I looked at her to continue. 

"Are we getting drunk tonight?" She asked. It was more of a demand than a question, but I still answered it. Of course I was planning on drinking, a lot. But I also didn't want to get drunk off my face. Mainly because Harry was going to be there, and I tend to get very flirtatious with him when drunk. We both haven't spoken about what happened outside the club on Halloween, and I'm hoping he never brings it up.

Becca cheered before mum got into the car and questioned her giddiness. She was waved off and soon we took off, Harry's car not far behind. Gemma wouldn't be joining us tonight, she agreed to babysit Megan and Reece with her boyfriend. Poor girl.

"Remind me why Lauren didn't come tonight, Becks?" Mum chirped up.

I could hear Becca sigh from her seat. "I told you so many times, we broke up. Are you thick?" She exclaimed. I winced at her choice of words, I really wasn't here for an argument.

Mum stayed quiet after this and I felt quite bad for her. However, I could see why Becca snapped. Mum likes to stick her nose into everyone's business, no matter what. Even if it's her own daughter.