Chapter 026 - The Observant, The Ignorant, And The Untouchable

This is the Side Story of The Observant, The Ignorant, And The Untouchable.

This side story is happening parallel to the main story.

The Observant.

My name is Norman.

I was born here in America.

All my life, I do what the 'good' society directs me to...

I went to a good school, I studied well, I have a good rank, and I have some awards too for my mathematics and science, I continued my study at a good university, and I graduated with a satisfactory achievement index, and then I continued to work at a big company, and for many years I just still an employee there, even though I win the title employee of the month for several time, but my carrier just... still an employee.

As a citizen I also always obey the law, never break it. And I always pay my tax on the time.

I am just an obedient citizen that all great nations want to be.

Now I live in Richmond, a town near Washington DC. I live in the apartment because my office is not far from here. I live alone, I am never married yet, and my parents and siblings are in my hometown in a different state. And it is good to be that way...

Because if they are here now, they only can stay inside the bathtub that is filled with water, hearing growling, screaming, door banging, shooting, and many things that you don't want to hear.

Why do I now lay in the bathtub that is filled with water? In the short version story, I accidentally make a noise inside my apartment. It is a trigger to that mutated human to know there is me inside this apartment. Luckily I already fortified my main door with a bookshelf, filled with many heavy things, a table, a sofa, whatever was heavy to hold the door not to be breached by that mutant.

And then why do I lay inside my bathtub under the water? To extinguish my odor.

Why did I make this decision? Who told me to?

Well, to get the answer maybe you should know my long version story.

For me, to become a better human, I fill myself with a lot of knowledge. I studied many things whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Well, maybe I am not filled my self with super science knowledge such as Einstein. But I filled myself with many things that maybe Einstein himself doesn't know such as cooking, social behavior, politics, and many others. It doesn't mean I am a genius, no... I just want to know a lot of things, because by that I think I can live in this world easier.

So for this case, just like I said... When the pandemic starts to happen, I start to think hard, how I can survive? I don't have a shelter connection out there, beside my prediction that out there will be chaos, do people will help each other? Or the otherwise?