42. safe place

"You make me feel at home."

Kriti's P.O.V.

Flashback

17 hours ago,

I was typing a mail on my computer when my phone went off. I glanced at the screen and realised it was Arjun bhaiya, Naman's elder brother.

I picked up the call and greeted him, "Hi bhaiya! How are you?"

"Kriti, where are you?" He sounded tensed.

"Office, bhaiya. Is everything okay?" I inquired.

"Kriti, uh...actually, Naman...he..."

"Bhaiya, what is it? Tell me." I insisted.

"Uh, Naman was- he was actually catching the ball...during the match when-uh- he fell down and landed incorrectly and h-hurt himself."

"W-What?"

This can't be happening.

"Yes, Kriti. He is to be operated in sometime."

"O-Operated? But, he'll be okay, r-right?"

No, God, no.

Please don't this to me.

"I haven't got much details as of now, but I'm flying to England in an hour. I'll bring him back once the surgery is over."

"I'll come with you."

Flashback over

"Where is he?" I asked Hardik as soon as we reached the hospital.

He gestured towards this room which has the board which said 'operation theatre' stuck outside it.

"H-How did it happen?"

Hardik told me everything, from how he jumped a high length to catch the ball to how he landed incorrectly and fell down as pain shot upon him.

I didn't know how to react. While Hardik narrated the entire incident, I felt as if it was me who was going through all that Naman went through. It felt as if I was the who got hurt, I could feel Naman's pain.

Tears formed in my eyes as I gulped in order to contain myself.

Hardik also mentioned that he is in the operation theatre since the past four hours.

God, please protect him. Keep him safe.

We haven't spent enough time together. There's so much more for us to experience with one another, I don't want us to miss out on any of it.

My tears couldn't stay in my eyes as they started falling.

"Bhabhs, don't cry. You need to stay strong. He'll be okay. All of us are here." Hardik assured me but I couldn't stop the tears.

It's him. It's Naman, that we're talking about. I can't lose him.

I nodded in response to Hardik and wiped my tears.

A few hours, which felt like an eternity, later the operation theatre's doors opened and the doctor came out.

"Doctor, how is he?" I rushed towards him and asked.

"Ah, Mrs. Mehra, I think we should discuss Mr. Mehra's reports in my cabin." I nodded and Arjun bhaiya came along with us.

"Mr. Mehra landed to the ground in a dangerous way which caused his left leg's Tibia and Fibula to twist and crack." Fuck.

"And then he fell sideways to the ground and the jerk caused a little crack on the wrist of his right hand. I have operated him but it will take him time to fully recover. He needs to be on complete bed rest until then. Otherwise the situation may worsen." He warned us.

"Mr. Mehra should not play until he is healthy and fit again and it will take a while. You need to take utmost care of him, let him rest, have healthy food from the prescribed diet plan that I'll give you, not take any kind of stress on his leg and wrist. After a week or two, we'll take new tests and then start with his exercises to get him back on track." The doctor informed us.

Both Arjun bhaiya and I nodded our heads in agreement and asked a few questions in order to clear our doubts.

"Doctor, can we take him back home to Mumbai? I've talked about it to our doctor, Mr. Sahil Baig, as well."

"Ah, Mr. Baig, he's an old friend. You can take him back but after a few days once he's stable enough to leave because all the airport formalities might strain his leg."

"But sir, we'll take him by the private jet which has rooms so that he can rest and not take any pressure." Arjun bhaiya informed him.

"I see, there's no issue then. You can take him two days later." He allowed us.

"Thank you, sir."

"Doctor, can I see him?" I asked.

"He down with all the sedatives we used during the surgery. But sure, you can go see him. The nurse will guide you." He gestured towards the nurse.

The nurse guided me towards his room while Arjun bhaiya stayed and discussed Naman's health plan with the doctor.

"This is the room, ma'am." She smiled and then walked away.

I took a deep breath in and went in.

I came across a sleeping Naman with a lot of machines around him. I noticed his wrist and his leg were plastered.

Walking near him, I observed him. He looked comfortable sleeping but there was something...off. I couldn't specify what but something definitely was not okay.

He looked handsome as ever. His hair were messy, falling upon his forehead. I smiled.

I went and sat near him on the stool that was kept in the corner and caressed his cheeks.

God, I missed him.

"You know, you could've just let the ball go." I said to his sleeping figure.

He could've done that but of course, the dedicated cricketer in him didn't let him do that.

I know him, I know how dedicated he is at what he does. He makes sure to give his hundred percent, always. And he never comprises when it comes to serving his country. I am so proud of him.

"I missed you, a lot." I confessed.

"You scared me, though. I'll give you an earful about that when you get up."

"I love you." I whispered and planted a kiss on his forehead, carefully.

Then, I sat back down and put my head down and rested it near him and just like that, I was home again.

He is my safe place.

A few hours later, I felt him stir in his sleep. I sat up straight immediately to check if something was bothering him.

He rubbed his eyes with his left hand and slowly opened them.

He looked around the room and then his eyes landed on me, they softened a little bit.

"Hi baby." He said in his deep, sleepy, husky voice.

Okay, fuck. He's hot even when he's sick.