54. the semi-finals

"No matter how unrealistic it seems,
it's going to happen."

Naman's P.O.V.

It's the semi-finals day today, India vs Pakistan.

I made four centuries and seven half centuries in the matches so far and saying that the public went bonkers would be an understatement.

The boys were doing so well, making me so proud, making the country so proud.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, took a deep breath, I was nervous. I was fucking nervous but the excitement and thrill of playing my first ever World Cup semi-finals was taking over.

The last time we played against Pakistan, it didn't go that well. The defeat was stinging and the pain was still there, we needed to get back at them.

With revenge and fire inside of me, I lead the team downstairs to the field. There was a different atmosphere today, India and Pakistan always feels this way.

The rivalry, strong and the excitement, high!

The toss happened and it turned out to be in the favour of Pakistan, they chose to bat. The toss loss didn't affect us as such because we were expecting to choose bowling, anyways.

The innings began with Babar Azam, the captain, opening for his team. He was, indeed, a great player.

The media often portrayed this competition between him and I, this rivalry. I mean sure, he is really good at his game but I am better. There's no competition there. I have immense respect for him as a player and he reciprocates the feelings. He is a good acquaintance.

He was hitting well, but it was getting too much. I called Siraj.

"Siraj, his wicket is yours to take. Pichli baar ka badla le le." (Take the revenge of the last time.) I told him.

I could see the fire in his eyes, "Ji, bhai." (Yes, brother.) He nodded and went to the pitch.

He had taken two wickets already in the game till now and I was well aware of the fact that he knows what Babar's weaknesses are and I know picking him for this over was the right decision.

The first three balls of his over, Siraj read Azam's form and the way he was hitting. And then for the fourth ball, Siraj did his run up and from the look in his eyes and the smirk on his face, I knew this ball was the one.

He bowled the ball with all his might in Babar's direction. My eyes were fixed on the captain, he bent a bit forward but misjudged the speed of the ball and moved his bat before time.

A common, petty mistake.

And as a result, the ball went ahead and hit the bails. The sexiest sound, after my wife's moans (obviously), reached my ears and I jumped in the air in delight.

I ran over the field to give the magician- Siraj, a hug. When I chose him in the World Cup squad, I had to face a lot of backlash from a lot of cricket fans. They believed that he wasn't the right pick.

I knew I was taking a risk with Siraj but I also knew that he has that potential in him, he can touch the sky if given a chance. As a captain, I wouldn't have let that spirit gone to waste.

I know how it feels to not get selected even when you have the talent and potential to do great things and trust me, it lowers your confidence to another level and you start to doubt your skills and then eventually, you fall into this pit from which it is tough to get out.

"Three wickets, you make me so proud." I said in between the hug.

"Sab aapki wajah se, bhai jaan." (All because of you, brother.) His voice held emotions, I knew he was getting the flashbacks from all the times he was left out.