56. the world cup finals pt. 2

"The ocean in me becomes water
when you're by my side."

Naman's P.O.V.

What the fuck?

I walked towards the umpire with Shubman beside me.

"How is it an out?" I asked him.

"It's a case of LBW, Naman." The umpire shrugged his shoulders.

No fucking way.

"What should we do, bhaiya? He's clearly wrong." Shub supported me.

"Let's go for DRS." I declared and gestured for DRS. The third umpire did his job while we waited.

I was getting annoyed because of the irrational decision of the umpire but I kept my cool. It's the World Cup final, there's no way I'm risking it.

In the meantime, my mind diverted to the thoughts of my wife. She had promised me she'd be here for the finals, I just hope that she's keeping that promise because once this is over, I don't think I can manage even a single second away from her.

It's been long enough and I just want her. Fuck, no, I need her.

A loud cheer from the crowd interrupted my thoughts and my eyes shot up to the screen with the decision.

'NOT OUT' was written there and boy, that was a relief. I glared at the umpire who gave the wrong decision to which he gulped.

The crowd went bonkers, again, because of the completion of my double century. Everybody gave me a standing ovation but instead of celebrating, I got back to the crease.

My goal was clear, winning the World Cup. It was the only thing ahead of me and I wanted to lift it as soon as I could.

The match resumed.

An hour later,

Kriti's P.O.V.

"Three runs to win, five balls remaining. India is all set to create history." Ravi Shastri commentated.

"All in the hands of the young captain, any moment now." The bowler did the run up and bowled the ball towards my husband, on the crease.

Naman's left leg came forward as he swinged his bat to hit the ball and once he did, he bent on his knee because of the pressure with with he hit it.

All eyes were fixed on the ball that was rising up in the air, the stadium's silence silenced.

Not even a decibel of sound could be heard.

The ball rose up, high in the sky and then started falling down and down and down...until it hit the stands.

We won. Fuck, we won the World Cup.

The entire stadium erupted into whistles and cheers as everybody realised what happened.

"Naman shatters all the dreams of New Zealand of winning the cup with the massive six! India lifts the World Cup, the celebrations begin in the stands and it's all because of the young captain, Naman Mehra. What a phenomenal player, rose from the ashes like a phoenix. The country is so proud of this young man." My eyes were glued on Naman as he celebrated the win.

He looked up in the sky and then, kissed his bat. The expressions on his face were such a treat to watch, I didn't realise but my eyes welled up with happy tears.

He deserves it. All the hardwork finally paid off and I couldn't be prouder of this man. He is something else.

Soon, the boys joined him on the field as they celebrated and here, the girls and I were hugging and congratulating each other. The stadium was filled with warmth, happiness and light.

Thousands of people in the stadium but my eyes were just on this one man.

My husband.

Naman's P.O.V.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the winning captain, Naman Mehra!" Dravid sir announced on the mic causing the fans to erupt in loud cheers.

"Naman, how are you feeling?" A wide smile was stuck on my face.

"Words cannot describe what I'm feeling at this moment. I feel on top of the world!" I answered honestly.

The crowd hooted even louder and I'm all here for their energy.

"The World Cup for India was such a roller coaster ride, straight out of a bollywood movie. Tell us about the team's atmosphere and India's journey throughout the cup." Rahul sir said.

"As all of us are aware, we didn't have a good start to the World Cup. I had just recovered from an injury and then, we started losing back to back. That caused me to overthink a lot, I started wondering whether I'm fit to be a part of the squad or not, and many other such thoughts. I was in a really bad mental space all in all which somewhere affected the team's atmosphere as well, which I terribly regret. One day, after the Pakistan match, I talked to my wife and she knocked some sense into me. And well, here we are!" I replied with a slight blush as I mentioned Kriti.

"They should make a movie on this, Mehra. Who do you dedicate this win to?" He asked.

"Kriti, my wife. It's all for her. It's all because of her. If she had not given me that reality check, we probably wouldn't have reached the quarter finals even! She is my light and she always keeps me grounded, my biggest fan and my greatest critic. I got really lucky. So, yeah, definitely- Kriti." I answered.

"Aren't you two adorable?! Now, Naman, mast question before I let you go pick up that beautiful trophy, what are the celebrations looking like tonight after you leave?"

"Honestly, sir, I just want to go back home to my wife and just be with her. The World Cup has been really tiring and all I need is her. I don't think I can manage another moment without her." I laughed.

"I'll let you go, then. Congratulations on the win, Naman. You've made the country proud." He congratulated me.

"The boys did it, sir. It's all them. Thank you." I, then, moved to the stage where I was to be handed over the trophy.

"Everybody, give a big hand to the captain of the winning team for this World Cup- Naman Mehraaaaaaa!" Clapping, cheering and hooting was followed after this as I shook hands with all the dignitaries.

The President of the BCCI, Saurav Ganguly, came forward with the World Cup and handed it over to me. And in that moment, I felt the most powerful I've ever felt and god, so fucking happy.

"So proud of you, Naman." Saurav sir gave me a hug.

I thanked him and then, my eyes travelled to the beauty in my hands, oh how glorious it looked, the World Cup.

My eyes shines and gleamed in appreciation as I walked towards my boys and handed it over to them.

Then, I got aside and let them have their moment. I feel so proud of us. We did it, we won the cup.

Soon, the celebrations started as the squad gathered for the pictures and the award ceremony.

I was awarded with the Man of the Match and the Player of the Tournament awards and it was really an honour.

After this was over, I started walking back to the dressing room with the World Cup in my hands.

"There's a surprise waiting for you." Hardik came out of nowhere and said to me with a smirk on his face.

To be honest, I just need my wife. All other surprises can wait.

But nonetheless, I kept walking until I finally reached there and I am so glad that I did.

Because there she was, standing with a wide smile on her gorgeous face and welled up eyes.

My girl.

Author's note:

A little diwali gift from my side to y'all. Thank you for always being there for me.

Happy Diwali, my heartus!🤍🪔✨