47. doctor's

"Your light is coming."

Kriti's P.O.V.

I passed him the smoothie bowl that was in his nutrition chart and sat down on the chair next to him.

"So, how do you feel?" I asked my him.

His face holds stress. I know he is tensed about the visit and I know he is nervous which is why I asked him the question, so that he could talk about it and feel lighter.

"I don't know...it's an overwhelming feeling, honestly. I don't know what the doctor is going to say today and if my reports are not in my favour, then, I might have to drop out of the World Cup squad. And I don't want that."

I put my hand over his and caress the back of it with the pad of my thumb as I softly mutter, "I know."

"I really want to be on the field for World Cup, Kriti. It's my first as a captain and I don't want to miss it at any cost. World Cup is huge and I want to bring the cup home." He poured his heart out.

The practise for the World Cup starts in the next three weeks and before that, the players will have to pass a fitness test. For Naman to be in the squad, his injuries need to heal- completely.

We have a doctor's appointment today for Naman and he is going to do a check up.

"No matter what happens, Naman, just know that we are in this together. We are a team, baby- whatever happens, we fight it together." I told him and he smiled to that.

"Do you want a hug?" I asked him.

"Badly." Was his reply.

I wrap my arms around his neck and his- snake around my waist as he buries his head into the crook of my neck.

His grip around me was tight and I could hear and feel his soft breaths.

"It'll all be okay, baby." I spoke, softly as I caressed his back.

"I can't afford not playing the World Cup." His voice broke.

"Hey, hey, hey." I pull away to look at him.

"Don't take too much stress, Naman. I have faith and I know whatever's going to happen will be for your best." His eyes were moist and his face held anxiousness and tension. A lot of it.

"I love you. And I am here with you and I will be. We are going to face whatever is about to come- together. I am not going away, not even for a bit. Just please don't stress, it's not good for your health." I said.

He nodded his head and I planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Let's go." He sighed.

I held his hand in mine and we left for the doctor's. Naman was still limping and that was the main concern for the both of us. All his injuries need to heal for him to be a part of squad.

God, please take care of this.

"Mr. Mehra, I have the reports with me now." The doctor announced after we waited for five minutes after Naman had an X-ray and a few other tests.

I settled myself on the chair next to where my husband was sitting and my hand immediately made its way to his and they rested on my lap.

Naman was nervous and so was I.

"Mr.Mehra, your wrist is completely fine, now. The bone has healed according to the X-ray and you did the exercises pretty well, too. All the other cuts and scratches, here and there, are gone. But, your leg. I will be very honest with you both. It has just been a month and a half since the accident and your tibial bone require some more time to heal completely." I felt Naman freeze.

"Your Fibula is okay now but the case is not the same with the tibia in your leg which is the reason of that limp that you have when you walk. You need more rest and more exercises to be completely fit." The doctor added.

"Will I be able to play for the Cup?" Was the first thing that comes out of his mouth.

"When is the practice beginning?" Mr. Baig questioned.

"In three weeks, and the squad flys to the UAE, the next month." He informed.

"If you take my advice, Mr. Mehra- and please don't take it otherwise, I think you should let this World Cup go." Fuck.

It felt as if I felt a jerk and I cannot imagine what my husband would be going through, in this moment.

"The profession that you have requires a great amount of running and jumping and moving your body and I would not recommend you to do all that when you're still in the healing stage." The doctor said.

"Is there nothing that can be done?" I asked.

"In three weeks? I'm afraid- no, Mrs. Mehra."

"Mr. Mehra needs rest at least for this whole month and as he, himself, informed us that the practise begins in three weeks. You'll have to let it go this time, Captain." That's the thing, he can't let it go.

He is ambitious and passionate about his job and letting World Cup go and just sitting and watching is not the Naman Mehra I know.

After we came back home from the hospital, Naman and I sat on the patio. It was evening already and the weather was good.

"It feels like the sun is setting." Naman spoke up after a few minutes of us sharing a comfortable silence.

The sunset was, indeed, happening but that's not what he meant when he said it.

"Then, there's a sunrise waiting to happen." I replied.

In that moment, he looked at me and smiled and it was not just a regular smile. It was a Naman Mehra special- the one that he has just for me.

"I don't know if I'm worth being the captain anymore." He said.

"No, Naman, I will not let you doubt yourself. You are the best at what you do and I have seen you put your soul into your game for our country. You are worth it and you are worth it all."

"I don't know, Kriti, I don't see the light." He admitted.

I put my arms around him, pulling him in for a hug and said, "It's the darkest before dawn. Your light is coming. I know it is."