13. Fire in the Sky

"At what point do I need to report that someone is holding you hostage?," Jessie asked jokingly as I walked her to the door. I heard Harry laugh harder than seemed reasonable at Jessie's words. She had offered to drive me home, but Harry said he needed to keep an eye on me again, especially after the paparazzi flashes had aggravated my concussion and given me a headache.

The three of us had been hanging out at Harry's house for about two hours, just chatting about everything and absolutely nothing at the same time. Harry shared some stories from on tour and Jessie countered with embarrassing stories from our time in college, including the time she caught me and my ex having a quickie on the balcony late one night. It didn't slip past me the way Harry had gripped my knee when she was telling it, as if he was claiming me. He laughed, but through a gritted smile and his face was tense. He was jealous.

"I'm going home tomorrow. I need to get back to work Monday anyways," I assured her.

"Okay. Give me a call and maybe we can get together this week. Oh, and thanks for the french fries and the hospitality Harry. It was nice to meet you," Jessie said over my shoulder to him.

"Nice to meet you too. It's been a pleasure." Harry said as he waved her goodbye.

Harry's large hand moved over me and planted itself firmly on the right side of my upper body as he closed the large birchwood door behind Jessie. Harry's other hand placed itself parallel to the first and I turned to face him, my body now positioned in between his outstretched arms. I looked up at Harry to find his familiar smirk. His eyes flickered over my face before stopping on my lips. His long chestnut hair fell forward and touched my face before his lips caught up and met with mine. Our lips pressed together and Harry's tongue begged for entry. The level of intensity behind his kiss was matched with his kiss in the car on the way to the yogurt shop. It was not a kiss out of lust, but purely out of need. The need to taste each other, the need to touch, the need to connect. It was like we were drawn together and every moment we kissed was making up for all the time that had passed before we found each other.

"I've been needing to do that for hours," Harry breathed out as our lips divided.

"I feel like I've been needing you to do that all my life," again letting my honesty flow freely. Not at all phased by my admission, Harry smiled and kissed me gently once more.

"Come upstairs with me, I want to show you something."

I followed Harry up the two flights of stairs that led to his bedroom. However, this time he made a left at the top of the landing. We stopped at a small door and Harry opened it to reveal nothing but a narrow and steep stairway with a door at the top. He held the door and gestured for me to ascend first, which I did. Once reaching the door, I opened it and stepped out onto a rooftop deck.

The sky was a beautiful blend of sherbet as the sun retreated from the sky. You could see the entire canyon Harry's house overlooked as well as Los Angeles. The city was just beginning to illuminate as people turned on their lights. Despite our expansive view, it was secluded and private. The homes in his exclusive neighborhood were spread far apart and Harry's house was built with the land upon a hillside. It was like we were alone at the top of the world.

"It's gorgeous up here!," I said turning back to him.

"It's the reason I bought the house," Harry said. "I find it peaceful. It's so quiet, yet if you really listen you can hear the faint sounds of the city and the chirping of crickets at once. Up here I can be alone, but never feel alone with the city surrounding me." I sensed a hint of sadness as he spoke, a loneliness.

"It's really amazing," I said, not wanting to pry into his thoughts.

"Come sit with me," Harry said walking towards a large dark wicker couch with thick rusted orange cushions. They almost matched the fiery swirls that fought through the clouds in the sky. Harry took a seat with his back against the arm of the sofa and his legs outstretched on the cushions. I squeezed in beside him and he pulled me back on top of him, my back flat to his chest and my head resting below his chin.