57. Rose Colored Glasses

"Well physically everything checks out okay Olivia. You're in good health and don't smoke, so no worries there for baby," Dr. Rose explained as she wheeled her chair from between my legs and changed her gloves. I sat up, glad to be done having a conversation staring at the ceiling while she was staring at my vulva.

"Any concerns about my age?," I asked, wanting to know if being in my early thirties would be a hinderance.

"I won't be concerned until you've been trying with no success for a year, but we can run tests after six months if you get to that point. Trying to conceive is a process, it doesn't always happen right away," she explained, fidgeting with her glasses and not making me feel at ease.

My desire to plan everything was upset by reality. There was only so much you could do to prepare for conception. The rest was up to that one strong swimmer to get his shit together.

"So, what should I be doing to increase the likelihood of getting pregnant?," I asked, tilting my head and checking to make sure the paper blanket was covering me. Why I was worried about modesty when she had literally just seen everything, I didn't know.

"Keep healthy, have unprotected sex when you're ovulating, don't stress," she said matter of factly. She looked down at a Manila folder of my personal information and adjusted the glasses on her nose again. "Let's see, looking at your chart you seem to have a bit of shorter cycle," she paused. "That's actually great in this case because you don't have to wait the standard two weeks between your menstrual cycle and ovulation, it'll be about 10-12 days between."

I always hated having a short cycle because I had my period so often, but I guess it was finally a good thing.

"Will that affect my chances of conceiving?," I questioned.

"No, I don't see why it would," she shook her head. "So, it looks like you ovulated this past week, probably on Friday."

As soon as she said it I realized that was when Harry and I were in New York. I hadn't even thought I was ovulating then. Honestly, I hadn't been paying attention like I usually did. I knew my cycle well, but once I had resolved to get pregnant, it was less of a worry. Not to mention we only had two days together, so we were bound to make the most of it. I was broken from my thoughts when she spoke again.

"If your cycle repeats you should be ovulating again in July, around the 9th or 10th. If you want to be sure, I recommend an ovulation test. They're pretty accurate and then you don't need to have sex everyday." I laughed in my head, knowing that too much sex was not a worry Harry or I had. "Anything else Miss Taylor?," she asked with a kind smile.

"No, I hopefully won't have anymore questions until I'm actually pregnant," I smiled back at her.

"Alright, then I'll let you get dressed and you can check out up front. Good luck to you and–," she paused, "I'm sorry I don't know your husband's name."

"Harry," I replied, not phased by her question until I had blurted out an answer. The fluidity of his name off my tongue in that moment caught me off guard, but it seemed best not to correct her assumption. I knew Harry and my situation was far from traditional, it didn't seem worth it to explain.

"Good luck to you and Harry," she nodded while she outstretched her hand. Her handshake was gentler than I expected, not weak, but not forceful like you'd expect someone of authority to have.

"Thanks Dr. Rose," I smiled. She nodded with a genuine smile as she closed the door behind her.

After she left the room I shed my paper garments and got dressed. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of excitement about all of this. It was actually happening. Not to mention there was now a chance I could be pregnant, though I wouldn't know until the end of the month when my period was due. I wanted to call and talk to Harry about it instantly, not only because he was clearly involved in the process, but he was the only other person who knew.