Issue 5: With Great Power

When the day finally ended, Luz just shot a text to Vee that she would be walking home.

In reality? She just needed a moment to herself. She couldn't deny it anymore. Something happened to her.

"W-what is wrong with me...?" Luz breathed as she ran into the alleyway. "T-that spider bite did something to me! But how? Spider bites don't make you strong or sticky or really athletic!!! It goes against all logic! It's almost as if that thing was magic or-"

Then, she stopped and thought about it.

Magic.

When she was little, she had always believed that magic was somehow real. It was what helped inspire her love of everything fantastical.

But as she grew older, she accepted that magic wasn't real despite how cool it would be to have it...but now...now, she really didn't have any other explanation.

"...was the spider magic? Or...or was it radioactive and mutated me?" Luz asked. "No, if it was radioactive, I would be dead. It has to be magic...right?"

She then took a deep breath. Many deep breaths, even. "Okay...I have to tell someone...nope, bad idea. I've watched enough TV to know that the person who has powers will get taken away by the government! Or...maybe that's just me being paranoid."

Luz then put her back against the wall, still trying to think. "M...maybe I can hide it? First I have to know what to even hide..."

She then placed her hand against the wall...and it got stuck. She sighed and was about to start pulling until she got an idea. She looked up at the building the wall was apart of and then slowly set her other hand on the wall.

Luz then lifted her fist hand and placed it farther up the wall. It stuck. She did the same with the second and it continued to stick to the brick wall.

Then, very slowly, she put her feet against the wall too and despite her shoes, they...stuck.

Luz looked down and saw that she was now completely off the ground. Her hazel brown eyes widened before she quickly looked up again and placed one of her hands farther up the wall.

She was climbing the wall. Without a ladder. Only her hands and feet.

Eventually, she made it to the very top and climbed up onto it. Luz's eyes were still wide as she looked down...and then?

She began to laugh. "I...I climbed a wall!!! I-I'm a human spider!!! I HAVE POWERS, BABY!!!" She cried as she made a 'rock out' gesture with her hands...and suddenly?

Golden circles suddenly formed around her wrists, almost like rings with weird writing across them that wasn't English or even Spanish. But the moment the rings formed around...golden webs shot right out of them and into the air.

Luz's eyes widened and she saw the golden rings disappear. "Webs...? Oh, duh! Spiders make webs! But...how did I get them to appear?"

She then tried the exact same thing and golden webs shot out again. She kept her hands in the same gesture and looked over them. She then lowered one hand and shot out the other, firing another golden web.

Luz's eyes were wide and she began to squeal as she started firing webs all across the building she was on like a gun firing bullets.

"Pew! Pew! Pew!" She exclaimed before she eventually stopped. "Man! That's fun!!! This is awesome!!!"

She then gasped. "Wait...secret powers from some kind of accident...does that mean I'm a superhero or some-"

But then, the rings returned around her wrist...but they were different. There were four rings now, two of them on each wrist. But now, they weren't even rings. They looked more like strange symbols. They were gold, blue, orange, and green.