Issue 27: Bitterness

Spider-Witch effortlessly landed on her home's doorstep and then cracked her neck as she transformed back. "Nothing like a good fight to end the day for us..."

Luz then opened the door...but her sister was standing right behind it, crossing her arms.

"Vee?" Luz asked. "What's up?"

Vee didn't respond. All she did was hold up the TV remote and then pressed a button, which then showed a report on the TV itself.

"Another battle between our city's hero, Spider-Witch and a new villain recognized as Terra Sullivan, a dangerous mercenary, happened today. However, many witnesses showed our hero to be much more violent than usual, even causing more property damage and having nearly beaten Terra Sullivan to a pulp. When the police arrested her, it looked like she could hardly walk."

Vee then switched off the TV, her eyes still narrowed.

"...is this a 'We saved the day' party or...?"

"Luz...what the heck was that?" Vee asked. "Smashing Terra into walls? Scaring people? Beating her when she's already beaten?!"

Luz's eyes narrowed then and she closed the door behind her. "We did what we had to. She's beaten and that's all that matters."

"'We'!? Luz, I was with Mom!" Vee cried. "There is no 'we'!"

"Oh, so I can't save the day without your constant and useless supervision?" Luz asked as she began walking off.

Vee's eyes widened at that before she grabbed her sister and yanked her back over. "Y'know what? Yeah! I have been feeling useless! I haven't been able to help my damn sister while she's throwing her life into danger!!! But you took it too far!"

"You heard the report! She's a mercenary! She kills and fights people for a quick buck!" Luz cried. "Throwing her in jail wasn't gonna be enough! She needed to be given her own medicine!"

"But it's not what you do!" Vee said. "Yeah! You beat people up, but you try to lead the city destroying bad guys away from people! Not throw them into a building filled with people!!!"

Luz clenched her fist. "I'm the hero here, Vee. You're just the person who tells me where to go, if you can even do that right...and if I had started this way...then maybe Dad would still be here." She said before storming off without another word.

Meanwhile...

Willow looked up at the Wittebane household with a deep breath before she walked up to the gate and then pressed the button, hoping to somehow talk to anyone to buzz her inside.

There wasn't a response. But, when Willow was about to press again, someone did speak...and they sounded tired. "Who is it...?"

Willow recognized the voice and stood straight. "M-Mr. Wittebane, sir, it's...it's Willow Park. I'm your son's friend?"

There was silence for a while before the gates opened, much to Willow's slight surprise. She then walked through and then through the door...to see her best friend's father on his couch, surrounded by papers, bags under his eyes, and his suit wrinkly and ruined. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

Willow's eyes widened at that, and was even more surprised that the Caleb Wittebane allowed someone to see him like this.

Caleb merely turned his head towards Willow before giving a weak smile. "Good afternoon, Willow...I-I'm sorry, but...Hunter is...isn't ready to come out yet..."

Willow gently closed the door behind her and walked over. "I-I know...I was hoping to see him, but...I actually came to check on you."

Caleb's eyes widened a bit as he looked at her in surprise. He then smiled, laughing weakly. "You're a very good kid, Willow...I can see why Hunter likes you."