Issue 7: Spider-Witch

The next few days were some of the worst in Luz's entire life. Camila and Vee were just as destroyed as she was about the death of Manny.

Vee broke down immediately, even trying to deny it at first when the officers told them while still in tears. She eventually just hugged her mother and her sister as tight as she could.

Camila burst into tears the moment the officers actually left once they were told the news. She held her daughters close, never wanting to let go of them.

They didn't go to school the following Monday. Camila was too afraid of letting them be on their own and frankly, Luz and Vee didn't even want to go to school. They missed their dad too much.

That Tuesday however was the funeral...the day that Luz was dreading. Because it would truly mean that her father was gone. That he was never coming back.

She stared at herself in the mirror, already seeing tears leak from her eyes, but she quickly wiped them from her thumb to prevent them from leaking onto her completely black suit.

Luz looked away from the mirror and out the window, seeing that the sky was a light gray. The sun was not shining, but there was no rain either. It could almost be mistaken for fog.

"...it's all my fault..." Luz whispered to herself. "I-if I wasn't messing around...Papa would still be here...h-he would hate me! He'd...h-he'd...!"

She then gritted her teeth and grabbed the nearest object and threw it across her room as tears streamed down her face. There was the sound of something toppling over due to whatever object she threw.

Luz clenched her fist at the mess she had made and walked over to pick it up...and then she saw the object she had thrown.

The first book of The Good Witch Azura. Luz had loved the books ever since she was young and her dad had given it to her while teaching her how to draw.

Luz quickly grabbed the book and held it like it was the most precious thing in the world. She breathed heavily as she held it close to her chest, sniffling.

"Mija...?" A soft and familiar voice said as the door opened.

Luz turned around and saw her mother. She held the book closer and walked over. "I-I'm sorry, Mama...I-I'll clean it-"

Camila walked over and hugged her daughter, stroking her hair. "No...I miss him too..."

Luz sniffled again and hugged her mother back. "...out of everyone, w-why did it have to be Dad!? I...I want him back! I...I-I-I-"

Camila just held her daughter even closer. "...Luz, there is almost nothing in this world I wouldn't give him to have him back..."

Luz looked up at her mother. "A...almost...?"

"...you and your sister." Camila whispered. "If Manny were here..."

She looked up for a moment as if trying to find the right words. She then took a deep breath and faced her daughter. "If Manny were here, he would want nothing more than for you two to be safe...and that's what I want. Everything is going to be okay..."

Luz sobbed a bit more, taking a deep breath to stop herself. "H-how can you say that when he's gone...?"

"...I don't believe my own words, mija." Camila whispered. "Just expect everyone to say that...and hope that it's true..."

The door then opened slightly more to reveal Vee, who timidly stepped inside.

Camila opened her arm and Vee immediately joined the hug, holding her sister and mother as close as she could.