Issue 28: The Blight of My Life

(This book is becoming way longer than I anticipated! Tempted to either keep going and make this longer than 30 chapters or split into a Book 2. Tell me what you might prefer!)

Amity Blight always had a knack for reading. Ever since she was little, she loved The Good Witch Azura series, finding it as an escape from reality when her mother was still around.

Thankfully, reality wasn't so bad now...but, now, there was something else she was reading. A person.

It was a week until Prom and Amity's date had been starting to act...strange.

Luz Noceda was once such a sweet, adorable, and kind girl...but lately, she had changed. She had been skipping classes, not sitting with her friends, and even her own sister didn't seem to want to talk to her. Not to mention, Luz had actually been kind of...mean.

She would sneer at people, bump into them, or just seem genuinely disinterested in helping or even talking into anyone...besides Amity. She'd talk to Amity...if you would call flirting talking.

Amity hummed to herself as she grabbed things from her locker before seeing someone beside her. She turned and then smiled at the sight of a familiar face. "Hey, Luz!"

Luz smirked, leaning against the locker. "Hey there, Ami."

Amity looked at her, practically feeling the sheer confidence Luz had. She then opened her mouth to speak, but Luz suddenly stepped closer.

"I never thanked you for saying yes...I honestly feel like the luckiest girl in the world just to be near you." Luz said.

Amity's face started to redden as her date started to lean in. "I-I-I do- I-I mean y-y-you do- I-I-I m-m-mean-"

"You're just pretty, y'know that? Boscha's right to not get over you...I mean...who could get over someone like you?" Luz asked as she gently caressed Amity's cheek.

Amity's face was now the color of a TOMATO as she began spouting utter gibberish.

Luz giggled and then stepped back. "I'll let you get to class, hermosa!~" She said with a wink before walking off.

Amity just stood there, her body completely frozen and her mind going in a huge sense of panic...of the homosexual variety.

The flirting wasn't what was starting to worry Luz, especially when it made her heart race. She really liked Luz. With how she listened to her, how she always tried her hardest, and how well she got along with people.

...but the Luz that she was starting to see wasn't the one she said she'd go to Prom with.

Amity sighed as she began walking down the hall until she saw a familiar face. Gus. One of Luz's friends.

"Hey, uhh, Gus!" Amity called as she walked over. "Do you have a minute?"

Gus looked surprised for a moment before shrugging. "I guess so...why?"

"Well...when was the last time you talked to Luz?"

Gus' eyes widened before he sighed. "Two days ago...look, something's going on with her. If you're still going out with-"

"I-I am! But that's why I'm here." Amity said. "You've been one of Luz's best friends for years...do you know why she's suddenly acting so...so-"

"Not herself?" Gus asked. "I wish I could tell you...a part of me thinks it's her dad...I tried asking Vee and apparently, she and Luz aren't on speaking terms right now."

Amity's eyes softened. "Wait, what? Did they fight?"

"Yeah...Luz said something kind of nasty, and Vee doesn't really wanna talk about it." Gus sighed. "But...I really don't get it! Luz wouldn't suddenly just go bully mode!"

"No! She wouldn't!" Amity cried. "And I haven't even known her for as long as you have."

Gus hummed. "...maybe she's trying to impress you...?"

"She thinks acting like my ex will impress me?" Amity asked, putting her hand on her hip as she raised an eye.

"...okay, yeah, that sounded stupid the moment it left my mouth. She knows the 'Trying to impress the girl' trope well enough." Gus sighed as he kept trying to think. "But gotta weigh all the options, y'know?"

"Fair enough." Amity said as she watched Gus start to pace a little, as if he was a detective in a gritty novel.

Gus scratched his chin. "Okay...so, what do we know about Luz?"

Amity started to think. "Well...she's really sweet and kind. She's a good listener. She has this adorable little laugh," she went on as her cheeks started to go red. "Her eyes just shine with this aura of happiness that feels contagious, she wants to help people in any way she can, and she doesn't care what people think about her...she's so brave..."

Gus blinked before beginning to smirk. "Riiight."

Amity then snapped out of it, her face going red. "A-and she likes The Good Witch Azura! R-really nice book series!" She said with a nervous laugh.

"So, why would any of that suddenly reverse?" Gus asked. "Come to think of it, she's been wearing a lot more black lately...you think this is just a phase?"

"While I don't have much evidence, I doubt it." Amity said. "Maybe it is her dad...people can handle grief in different ways..."

Gus nodded. "Maybe...but does DABDA include any form of aggression?"

Amity quickly figured out what he meant and hummed. "Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance."

"Okay, the Anger part seems obvious." Gus said. "But she isn't even just angry, she's...cocky. I don't know. Despite that, something in my gut is telling me that's not it."

Amity sighed. "We really got nothing, huh?"

"Yeah...it's like my dad trying to figure out why Spider-Witch suddenly started to go a bit more violent on criminals. You saw the ordeal with Terra Sullivan, right?"

Amity nodded. "Yeah...plus, the whole black suit with Spider-Witch is a weird change."

There was silence for a moment before Amity and Gus' eyes widened as their brains suddenly exploded with a single thought. They looked at each other, as if trying to figure out if they were thinking the same thing.

"...you don't think..." Amity whispered.

Gus shook his head, but even he didn't seem to be too confident in his own denial. "No! No! They sound too different! And Luz doesn't have any crazy powers!"

"Superhero 101! She'd hide them!" Amity cried, sounding like she was panicking. "A-and what about before Hunter? She suddenly did a crazy flip during the fight with Boscha!"

Gus' eyes widened further and further as he kept shaking his head. "...you're saying...that Luz might be Spider-Witch? The superhero that's been saving the day for months now?"

"I-I'm just saying it's possible!!!" Amity cried. "Do you have any other answers?!"

"Well, no, but...but it just...I...okay, my mind is kinda exploding right now, I need a sec." Gus said before looking at Amity. "M...maybe you...can find out at Prom?"

"You mean, try to figure out if she's a superhero?" Amity asked. "And then also try to figure out what's going on with her?"

Gus nodded. "It sounds tricky, sure! But! She won't talk to us, but she still likes you!"

Amity's cheeks reddened again. "...s-she likes me?"

"Amity!"

"S-sorry! Sorry! You're right! Not important right now!" Amity said before taking a deep breath. "Okay...so...try to talk to her at Prom...got it...and what do I do if she is Spider-Witch?"

"Spider-Witch or not, it's still Luz." Gus said before the bell finally rang.

Amity took another deep breath. "...let's hope this works..."