Issue 12: On The Hunt

Tired.

That's the only word that seemed to go through Hunter's mind lately. He would always be able to fall asleep, but waking up constantly in the middle of the night due to nightmares.

But, he couldn't even remember the nightmares. They seemed so vivid as they were happening, only for him to forget the moment he woke up and then lose more sleep. Bags were growing under his eyes quickly.

Schoolwork was easy for him. His dad was a tech mogul after all...but he just wanted-

"Hunter." Willow said, walking over to him at his locker. "You...haven't gotten any better, have you?"

Hunter yawned. "Not really. But, it's the end of the day, isn't it? I get a break..."

"And a nap. Or just...something." Willow said. "You've been like this for days, what's been keeping you up at night?"

Hunter sighed. "I...I don't know. I just wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat...but I can't remember what even wakes me up..."

Willow's eyes softened and she spotted a place for them to sit. She then gently took Hunter's hand even as her cheeks reddened slightly. They then took a seat. "Maybe you've got insomnia?"

"...maybe?" Hunter asked with another yawn. "I-I really don't know..."

Willow hummed, trying to think. "You wake up in a cold sweat, but you can't remember why...bad dreams maybe?"

"But...don't you usually remember bad dreams?" Hunter asked.

Willow shrugged. "You can forget dreams pretty easily, even right after waking up...can you remember any possible dream you might've had? A face? An action? A noise?"

Hunter thought long and hard for a moment before nodding. "A noise."

Willow nodded, clearly wanting him to go on.

"I...I don't know how to describe it." Hunter said. "Y-you know how when you pull out a sword or a knife, it makes a SHING noise?"

Willow tilted her head. "Yeah?"

"That. I remember that." Hunter said.

Willow tried to think for a moment, a bunch of conclusions coming to mind, but none with any solid evidence. "Anything else?"

"Ummm...no. No, I don't have anything." Hunter sighed. "I'm sorry. This isn't helping..."

Willow's eyes softened. "Hey, don't be sorry. This isn't your fault...maybe talk to your dad about this. He can get a professional. Maybe you just need some sleep medication or just a break. Take it easy."

Hunter smiled weakly. "You sure you guys won't miss me?"

"I always miss you, Hunt." Willow said before blushing. She cleared her throat quickly. "B-but, I care more about your physical and mental health than hanging out with you. I can't spend time with someone who looks like he's about to eat my brain."

Hunter laughed a bit, rubbing his eyes before he made a groaning noise, reaching out his hands towards her.

Willow snorted and lightly pushed him. "Dork."

"You're a dork." Hunter shot back before hearing the bell ring. He sighed and stood up. "Thanks, Willow."

Willow smiled. "Just take it easy. Okay?"

Hunter nodded before he headed to the door after gathering his things.

After heading to his house AKA a mansion due to his dad and his overall family being rich, Hunter looked around and immediately saw his father in the living room.

Caleb, though, didn't look much better than his son. The couch and chairs were surrounded in notes, Caleb's hair was messy and his eyes also had bags under them, and the TV was replaying something.

The newscast about the fight with their city's spider-themed hero and 'Golden Goblin'.

"And many people are still asking themselves questions. Who is this new hero and why is she doing what she does for no reward? Is there more to the story? We've got many opinions and answers ourselves, but the truth is still unknown."

Caleb grunted. "Sure...sure, it is...it's there, you just can't FIND it!" He boomed suddenly.

Hunter jumped a bit at that. "...Dad?"

Caleb's eyes widened and he turned around, standing from his seat. "H-Hunter! I...I didn't see you there, I'm so sorry."

He then walked over and hugged him tightly before looking over him. "...how was school?"

"It was fine." Hunter replied. "You...you don't look so good, Dad."

Caleb's tired eyes softened. "...neither do you."

Hunter then looked at the couch and walked over, picking up one of the notes. It was a sloppy drawing of the mask of the Golden Goblin with a bunch of scribbles as notes. "...are you too tired to write words, Dad?"

"Guess it looks that way." Caleb sighed, rubbing his nose. "Son, I...I'm going through a bit of a rough patch. Some of our buyers are scared because of this damn Golden Goblin being proof that our technology can be used for bad things. For bad people."

He took a seat. "I should've never made that glider or that suit..."

Hunter turned to his father. "They aren't all scared of our company now, right?"

"No, Hunter. But all of them can agree I need better security...one of our guards died the night of the theft." Caleb said. "...the funeral's pretty soon and I want to attend..."

Hunter took a seat beside him. "Dad, you don't look like you can attend anything. You need some rest. This Golden Goblin's just stressing you out."

"Hunter-"

"Look, we have this Spider-Gal fighting him and actually standing a chance. Combine that with the police and our company supplying the army and all that, we're gonna be okay." Hunter said with a small smile. "Whoever this guy is, he's going down. But you can't think of any way to help without sleep."

Caleb sighed before chuckling. "Oh, you're growing smarter every day, my boy..."

"Learned from the best." Hunter said before yawning. "Do you think there's some sleep medicine or something around? I could use it..."

Caleb looked surprised. "Have you really been sleeping that bad?"

"I don't know what's been going on." Hunter sighed. "Willow thinks I might have insomnia."

Caleb's eyes softened. "Well...there should be some medicine in the kitchen's cabinets. We'll take you to a doctor tomorrow just in case."

Hunter nodded. "I'm gonna take a nap though...I hope I sleep." He said with a light laugh. "Go to bed too, Dad. Night."

"Goodnight, son." Caleb said softly before watching his son leave the room. He then focused back on the notes and rummaged through a few of them before picking out one in particular.

A much better drawing of the Golden Goblin's mask...but it didn't have any horns. And it had a name written below.

EVELYN