Issue 8: Say My Name

The more time that passed, the more Luz couldn't believe what she had begun doing. She was actually going out in some kind of magic costume and fighting criminals that could potentially kill her if she didn't have the powers she had.

And because she knew crime happened everywhere in Gravesfield City, she couldn't simply get lucky. She had to know what crimes were happening to actually stop them or see if they were worth stopping. So, she managed to get her hands on a police radio.

But easily the hardest part of the job wasn't fighting the criminals or even avoiding the cops for technically being a vigilante...it was keeping her identity secret from her mother, her friends, and her sister.

She read enough superhero stories and comics and even seen many movies. If anyone knew who she was, that just put them in danger...she couldn't lose anyone again...

Especially when Luz's heroic persona (that she still struggled with a name for) started to become very popular online. It was practically all she heard from her classmates once she and Vee finally started going back to school.

Luz was just watching Gus and Willow, who were still watching Willow's phone about one of her latest 'catches'. She started calling her fights that because she was overall spider-themed and it was catchy.

"She catches a car with her bare hands!!!" Gus exclaimed. "That stuff only happens in the comic books or the movies or...seriously, I wanna know if any of this is fake!"

"Unless that's some really good animation, I...I doubt it." Willow said, still shocked herself. "Luz, why do you look so calm about this?!"

Luz's mind began panicking before she quickly thought up some kind of excuse. "Well, uhh...Gus has a point! We've had huge fakes like this before, y'know?"

"Luz, this thing is all over the news...I wouldn't call it fake." Vee said, not sounding too shocked either, but likely for a very different reason. Her voice was uncharacteristically quiet and just...not her.

Willow and Gus quickly drew their attention back to her, but didn't say anything. They knew exactly what was wrong.

Luz's heart clenched and she wanted to say something, but she didn't know what to say. 'I'm surprised I'm even cheerful...maybe it's a way to cope. Vee, I'm sorry I can't tell-'

Then, someone sat beside Vee. It was Hunter, but much like Vee, he didn't exactly look the best. He looked tired and bags were forming under his eyes.

Vee turned to him. "...Hunt, you look like garbage."

"...yeah...I didn't sleep too great. Still have a bit of a headache for some reason..." Hunter said, sighing as he rubbed his eyes. "How are you two holding up, Luz and Vee?"

Vee didn't respond, so Luz did for the both of them. "About as okay as you can get..."

"We're here for you. You know that, right?" Willow asked, looking at the Noceda Twins. "If you wanna talk, we're-"

"All ears...yeah...we know." Vee said, taking a deep breath. "Can we move on...please...? I-I don't wanna talk about this right now."

Gus nodded. "Okay...let's move on. So, Hunter, what are your thoughts on this Spider-Girl business?"

Luz's eyes widened. "Spider-Girl? Is that what they're calling her?!"

'C'mon, I can think of something better than that!' She thought to herself.

Hunter yawned again. "Unexpected. My dad's kinda going crazy over it and wondering if it was somehow his company that created this chick. Top secret and all, but he has been working with biology recently. Wondering if there's a way to physically enhance the human body or something..."