Issue 34: Magically Magical Magic

"Soooo...let me get this straight!" Spider-Witch exclaimed as she swung with Eda flying beside her. "You were one of the strongest witches in 'The Boiling Isles', until you got cursed by your jealous sister and now you have a metal thing in your chest that's basically a new heart that stops you from using magic, but keeps the curse at bay?"

Eda nodded. "That's basically the gist."

"What does the curse do?" Spider-Witch asked curiously.

Eda shrugged. "Turns me into a gigantic owl monster where I have next to no control of my body whatsoever and am usually acting on the primal instinct to kill."

Spider-Witch felt the color drain from her face and she shivered. "Remind me not to ask again..."

Eda nodded. "My sister, Lilith, thought the curse was temporary...she felt real bad when she learned it became permanent. So, I used a portal from my other sister to hopefully find a cure here...and sure enough, I absolutely failed."

Spider-Witch chuckled sheepishly. "Yeah, uh, we have a lot of great things, but no cures for magical curses."

"So, I made one. I got real good with technology and made myself an arc reactor and this nifty suit." Eda said. "And apparently this Golden Goblin creep used my family symbol as headgear."

"Don't call him a creep!" Spider-Witch exclaimed before her eyes widened. "S-sorry, that...that was really mean. Look, Golden Goblin isn't evil, just brainwashed in a sense. I know him and he's like a brother to me! His eyes were glowing gold like he was possessed!"

Eda's eyes widened under her helmet and she hummed. "Good to know..."

"...wait, family symbol?" Spider-Witch asked.

Eda chuckled. "Yup. My family's got a thing for birds. I'm all about the owls because of my wisdom...that and the whole owl beast thing. Figured as a kid that 'Hey! If I'm gonna be cursed to turn into a giant owl, why not make it my theme?'"

"Definitely a way to cope!" Spider-Witch cried. "OOH! Maybe you could call yourself...Iron Owl!"

Eda blinked before she hummed. "That's...not bad. Iron Owl." She repeated. "Although, this thing ain't made of iron. It's a mystically infused titanium alloy."

"Well, yeah, but Mystically Infused Titanium Alloy Owl isn't as catchy." Spider-Witch said before seeing a penthouse of some kind. "Whoa. You live there?!"

Eda smirked before she stopped flying and landed right at the front door, her suit suddenly retracting into...a briefcase. "Correctamundo, kid."

Spider-Witch landed and de-transformed. "Consider me jealous. How the heck did you even afford a penthouse if you don't live here?!"

"Oh, this thing ain't mine." Eda said as she walked in.

Luz's eyes widened. "Did you steal this!?!"

"No! Sheesh!" Eda cried as Luz followed her inside. "My other sister, Evelyn, lent it to me. She used to live in the human world for a bit, but that's a story for another time. Her ex-husband lent this place to her along with some human currency and she just...never gave it back."

Luz looked around, clearly in awe by how cool everything looked. She even started wondering if it was possible that she could get a superhero lair for herself. A lot of superheroes had their own bases after all. "So, you live here alone...?"

"Nah, my sister visits sometimes from home...oh, and my kids live here with me." Eda said as she took a seat.

Luz looked right at her. "You have witch kids?!"