Issue 23: Sticks and Stones

School.

Lately, Luz hadn't even been focusing on school. Her grades were declining a tiny bit since she was usually off swinging around the city, stopping crime at every turn. She could even tell that the criminals with no superpowers were really starting to get sick of it.

But she didn't care. Lately, she was starting to love the thrill of the fight. She never did before up until the black suit was summoned.

However, she had to remind herself that it was about the people she saved. Not the bad guys she was hurting.

'...how long have I been Spider-Witch anyway?' Luz thought to herself. 'Have I...really lost track?'

Then, there was a snapping sound, quite literally snapping Luz out of her thoughts.

"Earth to Luz! Earth to Luz!" Her friend, Gus, said.

Luz laughed a bit. "I...zoned out again, didn't I?"

"Maybe." Willow said with a small smile. She still wasn't completely over the whole thing with Hunter, but she was starting to smile more. The stress of one of her best friends and crush being a supervillain hadn't gone away and it likely wouldn't, but Luz, Vee, and Gus would take what they could get.

Gus chuckled before his eyes softened. "In all seriousness, you've been...really quiet recently."

Vee froze a little bit, sensing that she would have to step in to help protect her sister's secret identity.

However, Luz spoke up. "There...is something on my mind. Something I honestly might need a lot more help with. More than just Vee's."

Vee looked at her, remaining silent as her head quickly went to assumptions. 'Are you...going to tell them? Luz, you're kinda ruining the whole point of a SECRET-'

"Prom's in two weeks." Luz said suddenly before she blushed. "A-and I've been talking with Amity more and more...a-and I-I...I really, really want to ask her. For real this time. No chickening out."

Gus and Willow stared at her in surprise before Willow suddenly giggled. "You could've just told us, Luz! Of course, we'll help."

"We'll be your wingmen." Gus said as he patted her back. "Just imagine! Your cotton candy haired lady will be head over heels for you by the end of the week with our help!"

Luz laughed. "I doubt that last part!"

Vee silently sighed in relief before she laughed herself. "I'll drink to that."

Willow snorted. "Vee, you're not the legal drinking age...and that's a milk carton."

"Oh, don't point it out to her." Gus said suddenly. "She's a milkaholic."

Vee laughed again before she chugged the carton down and then 'slammed' it against the table, even making a fake hiccuping sound. "A-another! Put it on my tab!"

"Sooo, that adds to about $1,000?" Willow asked with a grin.

The four friends just began to laugh, clearly happy to just be...happy.

Luz wanted it to stay this way...she would make sure that nothing would hurt the ones she cared most about ever again.

Later that day, school was once again on the brink of ending and Luz just hummed a small tune to herself as she grabbed her things. 'Maybe Spider-Witch should have her own theme song-'

But then, she heard a small amount of grumbling coming from a familiar voice. Luz turned around and gasped. "Amity!"

"What?" Amity asked in a bitter voice before she saw who it was. "L-Luz! Crud! I am so sorry! I thought you were someone else!"