Issue 13: Friendly Neighborhood

"Okay, testing, testing...how's it sounding?" Vee asked over the new communication piece.

Spider-Witch twirled around in the air before swinging onto a rooftop. "A little static-y, but I can hear you! You did an awesome job, sis!!!"

"Aww, thanks!" Vee giggled. "I'm trying not to be too loud because I really don't wanna wake Mom up..."

"And what do we say if she does?" Spider-Witch asked with a grin as she looked over the city, which was absolutely beautiful at night.

Vee chuckled. "I'm playing video games and you're asleep...although, you're sure she's not gonna check your bed and see that there's a giant Azura plushie in your place?"

"She'll probably be too tired!" Spider-Witch said. "But, speaking of, I better get back. We at least know this test works-"

But then, once again, the sound of sirens filled the air. But they weren't police sirens. They were fire truck sirens.

Spider-Witch's eyes widened a bit at that before she started swinging after them. "Looks like there's a fire!"

"Wait, what is webbing gonna do against fire?!" Vee cried. "You're also, oh I don't know, highly flammable!?!?"

Spider-Witch kept swinging. "I know that! I'm just gonna help in case someone's stuck inside! I don't just beat up bad guys!"

Eventually, after swinging as fast as she could, she landed on the rooftop across from a burning apartment building. Spider-Witch looked around and saw all the residents outside, with firefighters already working their magic.

"Seems all clear..." Spider-Witch muttered before she began climbing down, just to listen in.

Everything seemed normal for a bit before she quickly heard someone screaming and even pushing at some of the firefighters to try and get back inside, pointing at an open window.

"MY SON IS STILL UP THERE!!!"

Spider-Witch's eyes widened and she quickly took action. She webbed onto the building and then swung inside the open window, sliding across the floor.

Screaming and crying was heard soon after. Spider-Witch looked around, waving her hand across the smoke as she dodged burning debris. "Hello!? Anyone!?"

No response. Only more crying and screaming.

Spider-Witch just followed the sound before she gasped after hearing a cracking sound. She then suddenly wrapped herself in her cloak as a burning piece of wood practically bounced off her.

"Luz!? Luz, are you okay!?" Vee cried.

"I...I'm fine! I think my cloak's magic too!" Spider-Witch said before she ran into the room where the screaming was loudest...and much to her horror?

A young baby, likely no older than two or three years old, was there.

Spider-Witch didn't hesitate and scooped the young child into her arms, wrapping him in his cloak. "It's gonna be okay, honey! It's gonna be okay! I'll get you to your mommy!"

The child just clutched onto her instinctively, crying and sobbing, even coughing a bit.

Spider-Witch then began running back towards the window, and just as the room started to crash down, she hopped out and fired a web-line, slowly lowering herself down with the child in her arms.

The residents and even the firefighters watched her land, with the mother of the child finally shoving people out of her way as she ran to Spider-Witch and her son. "MY BABY!!!"