Issue 17: Second Rate

"When time passed, it either felt too slow or too fast. And now, it had been about a week since the capture and defeat of The Golden Goblin.

An entire week.

Spider-Witch's name had been revealed to the public thanks to a few notes Luz left during crime scenes after webbing up the criminals.

After her little 'date' with Amity, she had gained more confidence. She began to truly believe what she was doing was making a-"

Spider-Witch twirled around in the air and then landed on the top of a skyscraper. "V-Vee! That wasn't a date!"

Vee sighed through the communication device which she had now properly fixed. "Luz, it totally was! And remember! Codenames, Spidey!!!"

"Shoot! Sorry, 5!" Spider-Witch said as she hopped off the skyscraper and began swinging. "Keep going with the narration if you want! It makes swinging around more fun!"

"Eh, you kinda ruined it." Vee laughed. "In all seriousness, you're definitely doing a lot better."

Spider-Witch sighed as she nonchalantly fell through the air, only to shoot out another web and pull herself into the air again. "Willow isn't. Neither is Gus."

Vee sighed. "I guess not...I still don't even know how to help."

"Do the only thing we can do. Be there for them when they need us." Spider-Witch said as she then landed on the side of a building. "It's what friends are for. The last thing they need to think is that we're ignoring them."

"That's gonna be kinda hard if you need to leave to fight another supervillain or stop another robbery." Vee said. "But don't worry, I'll cover for you. Like I do with Mama."

Spider-Witch looked around at the city, seeing a few people take some pictures from her down below. "No me gusta mentirle a Mamá..."

"I don't like lying to her either. But it's for her own good. I shouldn't even know about this according to comic book logic."

Spider-Witch nodded with another sigh. "Right, right...still. It's not easy on my conscience."

She then looked back to the people...who were suddenly beginning to scream and run away. Cars even stopped in their tracks as people ran out of them. Or some smarter people drove away in their cars.

Spider-Witch tilted her head before a gigantic shadow loomed over her. She turned around and her bright yellow eyes widened.

Flying above her was some kind of...monster. It was a hulking humanoid beast with large wings made of blue fire and with claws that looked to be horribly disfigured like the rest of its body. Its face even looked like its very skull was being shown through the skin.

Spider-Witch screamed and quickly hopped out of the way as the monster swung one of its massive arms at her.

"Spidey!?! What's going on!?!" Vee shouted.

"GIANT MONSTER!!! GIANT MONSTER!!!" Spider-Witch shrieked as she landed on the building across from it. She then started firing webs at the monster, not knowing what else to do.

Her first villain was only her best friend in military armor. This was the next level way too fast!

The monster just flew higher into the air, not being hit by the webs. It then opened its mouth and shot out a large blast of blue fire.

Spider-Witch gasped and then quickly looked through the windows to make sure no one was even inside the building she was on right before hopping out of the way.