Issue 9: The Golden Goblin

"Hey, Luz?" Vee asked. "You wanna go to that parade that's in the city tomorrow?"

Luz turned to her sister. "Why do you ask?"

"I...I guess I just wanna spend some more time with you. I dunno why, but...I get the feeling that you're not telling me something." Vee said, sitting up in her bed. "I mean...I honestly didn't think I'd see a smile on your face again for a while after..."

Luz's eyes softened and she sighed. "I didn't think so either...I think I'm coping in all honesty...I-I dunno what I'm feeling."

"Feelings suck sometimes." Vee said with a weak grin.

Luz chuckled. "Yeah...but, sure. I'd love to spend some time with my twin sis. Plus, parades are cool!"

"They can be." Vee said before yawning. "Night, sis."

"Goodnight, Vee." Luz said as she laid down and looked up at the ceiling. 'I wish I could tell you...but if I know anything about superhero stories, I...I can't risk losing you too...'

The very next day and after school, Luz and Vee went into the city...but, they did have a 'Find My Phone' app activated because Camila was honestly much too afraid of not knowing where they were.

An almost hour-long phone call was spent reassuring her that they would be okay. Neither Vee or Luz could really blame her worry though.

"Oh! Hey! I think it's starting!" Vee smiled, hearing drums and trumpets from a distance beginning to play.

Luz smiled as well and stood with her sister before something caught her eye. She turned and saw that Blight Manor was actually not that far from them.

And Blight Manor just so happened to be the home of Amity, if the last name didn't make it obvious enough.

Luz stared at the large home in awe before actually seeing Amity and her family on the balcony. But it wasn't just her dads, two others were there too.

Confused for a moment, Luz squinted her eyes before it hit her. Amity actually had two older siblings who had already graduated high school.

'What were their names again...? Eddie...? Emmy...? Man, you can't even figure out your own crush's sibling's names?! What the heck, Luz!?' She thought before blinking. 'Thinking about it, maybe that's not that bad. It's not like Amity would quiz me if I ever tried asking her out.'

Luz then silently sighed. 'Asking her out is a nice thought...but even with all the powers that I wouldn't even be able to show her, it's just...so scary. What would I even say to her? Amity's smart, cool, and classy! It would have to be-'

But then, Vee suddenly hit her arm. "Luz, are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh! Sorry, sorry!" Luz said before directing her attention to the parade.

The parade was naturally loud, colorful, and cheerful. Floats, mascots, music, dancers, all kinds of things. Not to mention a ton of balloons. That was always fun.

Luz looked at her sister and only smiled more when she saw Vee smiling. It was something she hadn't seen in a while...especially since she seemed to be very bothered yesterday for obvious reasons.

But then, suddenly, people began looking away from the parade and up into the sky, with too many voices speaking at once.

Luz's head suddenly began ringing and she whipped her head up to the sky as well.

There was a large trail of smoke and almost a screeching sound...and then, everyone could see that it was some kind of person flying around on a glider, which was leaving behind the smoke.