Dragon vs racoon

''He just surrendered!?'' asked a stupefied Ohnoki witnessing one Shikamaru Nara just giving up even though he had Temari in his grasps. ''He won but chose to surrender?''

''Obviously you never met a Nara before.'' remarked a chuckling Minato. ''They're extremely smart but equally lazy as well.''

''I have to agree. I was so scared for my daughter there.'' said Orochimaru, trying to keep up his disguise as the Kazekage.

(with the audience)

''Leave it to a Nara to just surrender. Honestly, I don't know what to do with him sometimes.'' Asuma Sarutobi remarked at what his student did.

''Indeed, Asuma but you have to admit... Shikamaru displayed intellect rivaled only by Naruto.'' Kakashi said.

''Really think so, Kakashi?'' Asuma asksd.

''Yeah. Shikamaru is probably the only one who can match Naruto's tactical thinking.''

''I want to be mad but... sigh... this is just Shika. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.'' Ino Yamanaka remarked with Choji Akimichi munching in agreement. She then saw Tenten coming back to her seat. ''So, how's Neji doing, Tenten?''

''He's fine.'' the bun haired genin replied. ''He'll be up and ready to watch the matches soon. Don't worry about your crush. He's also fine.''

(contestant's booth)

''Doesn't surprise me on bit.'' Naruto remarked at the outcome. ''You don't seem too angry that I branded your teammate, Shino. Usually, when something like that happens, a fellow team member would want revenge.''

''In my opinion, she had it coming big time, Naruto. I would be lying if I say I didn't feel some form of satisfaction seeing Hinata put in her place.'' Shino answered.

''Next match, Kankuro vs Gaara. Will the-'' Genma called out for the two sand ninja but Kankuro shouted in a loud voice.

''Procter, I forfeit!'' Kankuro shouted and the audience booed his decision.

''Fine then. Next match is Shino Aburame vs Omoi. Will the contestants please come down?'' Genma called for the two to come down.

''I think you'll win this one.'' Naruto said to Shino.

''Thank you for the trust, Naruto. Hopefully I live upto both yours and my clan's expectation.'' Shino said and walked down. The Aburame always knew of Naruto's strength and potential, his bugs sensed it. Naruto was easily the strongest genin in the Leaf with power equal to maybe jonin. In his mind, it was best to be on Naruto's good side unlike Menma, Mito and his two teammates, Hinata and Kiba. Mito and Hinata were perfect examples of what would happen should someone face Naruto's wrath.

As predicted by Naruto, the match was indeed Shino's to win. The Aburame trained his bugs to be resistant to lightning as it was his opponent's main affinity. Seeing N use water, he also trained them to be water proof. His clan also worked on his speed as Omoi was a good swordsman like Karui. The past month for him was not wasted. Omoi was outmatched from the very start, not knowing how much his opponent prepared for this match. When Shino trapped Omoi and started absorbing his chakra, he gave up. Shino Aburame was declared the winner.

The next match was Kurotsuchi of the Stone against Karui of Cloud. This was not a good day for the Hidden Cloud village. Naruto predicted it would be an easy victory for the granddaughter of the Tsuchikage. She had earth style, fire style and a bloodline known as lave release. Given her unique ability to fly, Karui never had a chance to win. After the matches were over, a compromise was quickly made. The next round would be Menma against Temari with Gaara and Naruto next. The winner between Menma and Temari would fight Kurotsuchi and the winner would fight the winner between Naruto and Gaara. It seemed to please everyone.