War of Unification part 6: northern campaign

-aboard the G.N.S Chimaera-

''Grand General, my lords, incoming enemy ships!'' a lieutenant informed them over on the comms.

''This is Rukossovsky. Tell me of what composition and from which nation, lieutenant.'' the Grand General calmly ordered.

''Bashanians, sir. About two dozen frigates, fourteen destroyers, four battleships and two carriers.'' the lieutenant answered and the Grand General smiled a bit at the answer.

''Ah. Bashanians. Lovely folk they can be.'' the Grand General remarked. ''Lieutenant, order all ships except the carriers to tilt by 30° and release all fighters. Tell them to move behind the fleet and once they reach two kilometers, tell them to scatter in an open cluster formation.''

''Sir?'' the lieutenant asked. This was unusual orders that hadn't been issued before.

''You don't have to understand. Just obey.'' the Grand General said and on the data screen of his office, a layout of the battlefield was created.

''I'm afraid I don't really understand, Grand General.'' Naruto voiced his thoughts. ''The fighters of Bashan are moving out and we're defenseless if they approach closer. Traditional warfare says that jet fighters are to meet in battle while warships exchange broadsides. Will this... work?'' Naruto wasn't objecting but rather curious. Alexander Rukossovsky was the best tactician and military commander in Magog. Naruto wanted to learn from the most experienced and talented commander.

''The Grand General has a history of defying tradition and winning, Naruto. We're in for a show.'' Daemon said to the Uchiha.

''They're trying the only defense and offense they're capable of. Watch and learn, my princes.'' the Grand General said and they watched the battle unfold.

The tilted warships of Magog had covered the jet fighters as they flew. Once reaching two kilometers, they scattered to encircle the fleet of Bashan's navy. The Bashanian fighters move to intercept as the warships took defensive positions but the Magogite ships opened fire. The fighters of Bashan were caught off guard and dozens were destroyed. Then the fighters of Magog swooped in to destroy them utterly. The warships of Magog's grand navy opened their devastating fire and the Bashanian ships were falling to the ground in flames. The fighters came back again to finish the job. Another victory for Magog.

''Impressive, Grand General.'' Naruto praised the old war commander. His respect for Alexander Rukossovsky grew even more. ''How did you know that they would move that way?'' he asked.

''Learn about art, prince Konstantine. When you know and understand the art of a certain people, you can learn how their mind works. How they might react to certain situations. I have studied the enemies of Magog for years, learning their art, culture, traditions and tactics. It proved useful and I have won a string of victories for Magog.'' the Grand General explained.

''I will keep that in mind, general.'' Naruto replied. After that, a pilot had entered the office to report his findings. ''The Vakara Lane will prove to be a bit diificult.'' Naruto commented. ''I don't think we can spare much manpower to reinforce the 11th division.''

''Hmmm... we'll take the Vakara Lane later.'' the Grand General said. ''Right now, we need to focus more on Heshbon and Bashan.''

''The skies above the continental north is cold. Extremely cold, Grand General. The warships will have a difficult time now that snow storms are more frequent.'' Daemon said.

''I know, prince Daemon. That is why we are moving to the capital cities.'' the Grand General told them. ''We will take the cities of Heshbon and Bashan and then we move to the Vakara Lane to secure the entirety of the north.''