Tiffany

"The musical was fantastic," my mom and I happily walked to the truck. It was around 6pm when we got out of the theater. "Tell Anthony I enjoyed it," my mom said once we were in the car driving.
"I will, he must still be at the gym with his dad. He hasn't replied to me," I said looking at my phone.
"That's an athlete for you," Mom said. I nodded, but still, he would have sent an emoji or something. I pressed my lips together, and called him. But he didn't pick up.
"It's also his dads birthday," I said to myself.
"Oh yeah, he's busy. Do you want to get food?' she asked. I grinned at her agreeing as I texted him.
____________
After  we got our food, we headed home. I licked my ice cream cone when  Anthonys name popped up on my phone. I felt giddy and I smiled.
"Hi baby," I grinned happily, putting the phone up to my ear.
"Tiffany," Mrs. Anita said. I blushed seriously. Oh my gosh, why can't I just answer the phone like a normal person? I thought.
"Hi Mrs. Anita. I didn't know you had Anthony's phone," I said awkwardly. Mom looked over at me, then at the road curiously.
"It's ok honey. I need you to listen to me ok," she said in a calm voice. I felt my heart start to race. Where is Anthony? I thought as I mumbled ok. "Today, around 3, Anthony was shot '' her voice cracked as my body went cold. "He was rushed to Baylor Scott and White in Temple. He," she sighed."He lost a lot of blood, sweetheart. They had to restate him once already." I looked everywhere, blinking my eyes as overwhelming tears clouded my eyes. Anthony? I could feel my breath speeding up, I looked at my mom.
"What's going on?" she asked as Anthony's mom asked if I was still there. My mom pulled over as I whimpered. I push the phone to my mom as I tried to catch my breath. I felt like vomiting.
"Hello?" I heard my mom say as I jumped out the car. I was shaking, I tried to calm down by shaking my hand but then all my food came up. I stumbled to the gaurd rail and let out a wail I didn't know could escape me. I felt like my heart was being stabbed repeatedly.
"No!" I yelled as I sobbed.  My knees went weak, as I grabbed my necklace.
Please God. I could feel his touch, his kisses, I could see his smile. Was that gone now? I screamed again as I sobbed.
"Tiffany, come on," my mom grabbed my shoulder.  She hugged me close, pulling me into her arms.  "Were going there ok? Anita is sending the information as we speak. Let's go," she helped me stand, then cupped my face.
"Mom," I whimpered. Her eyes were filled with tears as she stared at me.
"Breath Tiffany, I know you're in pain. I know it hurts, but we need to get to him," she put my hands on her chest as she deeply breathed with me to help me catch my breath. "Let's go to Killeen,"
____________
I felt broken. I sat in the back of the truck with Callum. I stared at my hands as my mind wondered. What if he died again? What if he didn't come back? I will never get to tell him I loved him? What if we never got to make love? What if we never get to become more?
"Damn it." I cursed slightly as I covered my face with my fist. How did this happen? Who would shoot my Anthony?
"We're right around the corner," my dad said. As Callum scooted over to me and pulled my head on his shoulder. I must have looked like a wreck for Callum to comfort me. But I appreciated it.
"Ok," I responded thinking of my wonderful man. I felt my lip quiver.
First Daisy and now Him? Why was I surrounded by death? I cried softly.
____________
We pulled up to the hospital and went into the ER lobby. Anthony's parents must have told them that we were coming, because they took us to the surgery waiting room.
"You're here'" Mrs. Anita hugged me closely and I hugged her back.
"What happened, is he ok?" I questioned. Mr. Sam walked forward with a deep frown.
"He just got out of surgery. He's stable, but they put him in a medical coma. They had to bring him back two more times... he lost a lot of blood. Anita and I decide, if he goes again, we're gonna let him rest," A wave of cold went over me again. I dryly swallowed as I looked over his dad. His usual calm businessman appearance was gone. He had a bandage wrapped around his arm and I wondered if he was ok.  I looked back at Mrs. Anita and she looked worried. I remembered what she told me.
Anthony may be the love of my life, but he was their child. Their only child. A child they almost lost 21 years ago, and now they had to relieve that trauma. I couldn't imagine being a parent and losing a literal part of myself. I pulled Mrs. Anita into an embrace.
"I'm sorry this is happening," I said softly and she sobbed. I held her as I let her wail into me.
____________
"Just a warning, he does have an endotracheal tube on as well as a catheter. He looks like he's sleeping, he won't respond while he's in the medical coma. You can still talk to him though. Some patients said they could hear their loved while they slept," The nurse explained as she led us into the room he was in. She knocked on the door out of respect I assumed, then opened the door.
I could hear the beep of the heart monitor and feel the stillness of the room. I hated it. Mrs. Anita and his dad went in first, I froze slightly. Will he still look like Anthony? I wondered as Mrs.Anita whimpered.
"My baby," she said as her voice cracked. Callum walked in cautiously and peaked. He relaxed and reached for my hand. I grabbed it and I walked forward.
My eyes filled with tears. He was paler than his usual glowing self and the tube down his throat - was haunting. The only reason I knew he was breathing and alive was because of the heart monitor. His whole torso was wrapped in a bandage, as well as his arm.
"Knock knock "A male voice said. We turned to see a doctor. He smiled at us, as if we weren't living in one of our greatest fears. "I'm Dr. Marshal, you guys must be the Browns," he said.
"Yes we are," his Dad spoke.
"Well it's good to see Anthony has so much support with him," As he spoke, I walked around to look at Anthony closer, now that the initial shock was gone.
"So, as you know, we did have to bring him back three times. He's pretty stable now because of the coma we put him in. We wanted his brain and body to catch up. What happened to him was traumatic, and sometimes when things like this happen, with the loss of blood as well, our bodies freak out. But he's a fighter. I'm sure he'll be fine." he said looking him over, then smiled, "We'll start to wean him off the medicine on Tuesday and by Thursday, he won't be under the influence of the medicine. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday he'll wake up on his own. Afterwards, we'll keep him a bit longer to make sure he's ok." I pet his head gently in the way I knew he loved. Usually, I'd get the response of him cuddling into me. Not today though. I felt my lip quiver again.
When the doctor left I leaned down to kiss  Anthony's cheek.
"I'm sorry this is happening to you, "I breathed.
____________
I didn't want to leave, but Anthony's dad's family and my family went to their house. Mrs. Anita stayed with Anthony to keep an eye on him. Anthony's house had plenty of room, however I went into his room. I took in a  breath as I felt overwhelmed. I laid in his bed as I cried. He died three times? What if he died again? Were they really going to let him go? I whimpered and hugged his pillow. I knew I wouldn't be getting much sleep that night.
The next day, we arrived at the hospital. I instantly went to Anthony's side and held his hand. His mom and dad decided to check out the cafeteria with my family. I didn't want to go. I wasn't hungry.
"They said that you can hear me... I'm not really sure though." I said numbly. "I can't believe this is happening. There is so much you haven't gotten to do, so much that we haven't gotten to do." I kissed his hand. "I love you so much, please don't die again. "I whimpered and held his hand as my head fell and I wept.
____________
"Ok, part one of taking Mr. Brown off the medicine. Now he may twitch here and there but that is normal. He's just waking up." Dr. Marshal said with a smile. "I'll get the nurse to give him a bath, '' he smiles at us before leaving. I looked at Anthony curiously when the nurse came in.
"Hi, I'll be giving Mr. Brown a bath." She was an older lady who smiled. "Mom and Dad can stay if they want." She parked her cart. I blush brightly standing.
"We'll go to the cafeteria. Tiffany, needs to eat," my dad said, giving me a look knowing I hadn't had much of an appetite.
Later that night, I stayed with Anthony, while Mrs. Anita went home to bathe.
"I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream," I sang softly, sitting by his side. "I know you, that look in your eyes is so familiar a gleam," I cupped his face, gently, allowing the stubble that he was growing in to sting my palm. "and I know it's true, that visions are seldom they seem, but if I know you, I'll know what you'll do" I place my hand gently, over his heart,  feeling the beat under my palm calming my anxiety. "You'll love me at once, the way you did, once upon a dream," I kissed his forehead, then sighed  resting my forehead on his.
____________
"Ok," The nurse said. "He should be waking up on his own in the next 48 hours." she pulled the tube out of his throat gently replacing it with an oxygen mask. "He may open his eyes, but don't be alarmed if he doesn't respond right away. He may look awake, but won't fully be aware until after 48 house. Does that make sense?" she looked at us.
"So, if he just happens to open his eyes, he's just sleeping with his eyes open?" Callum asked, he stood by the window, looking at her curiously.
"Basically, I would say talking, singing, playing music, all of that will help him come back quicker. Let us know if he does open his eyes or makes a noise, track it. It will help us a lot!' she smiled. We agreed then she left. I walked over to Anthony and kissed his head.
"Wake up soon, "
____________
We spent the rest of the day talking to Anthony about random things, I held his hand as I sang to him.
"But I won't hesitate, no more, no more,  it can't not wait, I'm yours," I hummed softly. "Hey," I leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Well open up your eyes and see like me, "I changed the lyrics as I cupped his face. "Open up your eyes and damn you're free, look all around and you'll find, love, love, love love, love,"His hand twitched in mine, squeezing. He could hear me! I thought as tears filled my eyes. "Listen to the music of the women and people dance and sing, we're just one big fam- "I stopped as I stared at the glossed over brown eyes I loved. They were slightly open and were looking right at me
"Anthony," I grinned. Everyone came over, grinning happily as, he grunted with a wince, and his eyes closed as he relaxed, sleeping. His mom grinned happily as his dad ran out to get the
"My baby boy, come back to us Anthony," mom kissed his forehead with tears rolling down her face.
~~~~~~~~~
Alrighty tighty! We have one more full chapter, then the epilogue 😫😫
I love Antho and Tif so much! I don't want it to end, but I haven't written a sequel because I'm not sure where there story goes after.
Shout to TrppyViibes, marib2928, and okayciana! I appreciate y'all so much ❤️
I will see y'all later!
~Adrianna