Part 1: Chapter 2

I was standing in front of the coffee shop, peering at all the faces, smiling, reminding me of my brother.

I scowl at them all.

Dont they know it hurt to be reminded of him?

There was a young girl smiling, her long brown hair was the same color as his.

There was a man working at the counter, his uniform resembling the one Ken wore to work.

There was another teenager wearing an Adidas hoodie, just like the one hanging in my brother's closet at home. He'd worn it all the time.

There was a father, sitting at a table with a young teenage girl, giving her the same look and smile Ken always did when I was younger, showing me that he was there for me and that I would be alright.

I wasn't alright now.

I wipe my eyes, glowering at everyone who made eye contact with me, walking inside of the shop and up to the counter.

The workers there seemed afraid of me, conversing in hushed tones as they stole uneasy glances at me. I made direct eye contact with each of them whenever I could, feeling no remorse for their unease.

"Is someone going to take my order?" I ask, my voice venomous and impatient. I feel a warmth covering my shoulder, my brother's hold reminding me that these weren't the people responsible for his decease.

A black-haired male walks up to me, apprehensive green eyes peek at me nervously from behind rectangular rectangles that rest on his nose, mousey-brown hair peeking out from underneath his red and black hood.

"H-Hi!" he greets me, attempting a cheerful tone. With no response from me, his smile drops a bit, making his gaze flit over to the touchpad, readying himself to take my order.

I gaze at the counter, fighting tears as I give him the order, the same one I'd gotten the first and last time I'd come here with Ken.

He'd recommended it to me, and I'd loved it, just like he said it would.

"A pumpkin spice latte, please, extra cream and a vanilla swirl." I say, my voice lowering to a shaky whisper.

The man at the counter offers a sympathetic smile that I only catch out of the corner of my eye.

"That'll be 3 dollars. If you could slide your card into the register or pay in cash, we'll have that to you in five minutes."

I nod, silently pulling out the wallet I'd set up with a budget for extra things I needed to pay for, seeing that i was a little over a dollar short of the price.

My eyes well up again.

God I was pathetic.

I wanted the coffee today of all days because it was Ken's birthday, the exact day we'd gone out for coffee for the first time.

I couldn't get through the day without it.

And it was pathetic that I was crying over it.

"I don't have enough right now, never mind." I whisper, backing away from the counter, putting my wallet back into my pockets.

My back collides with something as I attempt to exit the shop.

I turn around to see a teenager, surely around my age, with blonde hair and kind green eyes.

He waves at me as I retrace my steps away from him.

As much as I want to reject his kindness, I can't bring myself to.

I wave back, giving him an inquisitive look as he clearly forces a smile.

He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes momentarily and letting his grin drop before looking back at me with a more relaxed expression.