Part 2: Chapter 25

Astro pov (pog?)

~flashback (he's 12 years old)~

It was my first day at this school and I was walking around like I owned the place.

I had put real thought into my outfit for once, putting a nice grey sweatshirt underneath a deep blue jean vest, my tan jeans bringing out the sandy color of my hair and crystal blue of my eyes.

I wanted to come off as intriguing and mysterious, but no one really payed any mind to me.

Still, I felt like it was an improvement as I was always bullied and beat up at my old school. Here I was able to walk around the school as I pleased without having to check around corners for the meaty kids that had always been a lot bigger than I was.

As lunch came along, I made the quick decision not to go to the cafeteria, opting to roam around the building more. I couldnt go to lunch without friends; it would ruin my image.

I walked confidentially towards the library, smiling softly at the thought of having such a large space at school to myself, full of books that I could pretend were my own.

Entering quietly, I gazed around, sighing happily at the absence of any students and the smell of sweet parchment and rustic book covers that I could imagine were frayed at the spine.

It was always fun, searching through a library, the shelves being different in each one, stacked high with books of a mysterious purpose.

I walked hastily today despite my wishes to scour every nook of the room, not wanting to lose any time in the short free period I had.

Turning a corner, I was met with a sight I didnt expect to see.

It was a young boy with light brown hair that shone like a halo in the colorful light that spilled from the mosaic windows above his chair.

He was sprawled out on the couch he sat on, his legs draping lazily over one of the armchairs, one arm thrown over the back of the seat, a thick book in one hand, his fingers flipping through the pages expertly as his eyes scanned the words with haste.

He looked up briefly as I walked towards him, still shocked to find another student in the library.

"Hey," he said, a British accent heavily draping over his speech, enchanting me.

"Hi." I say, sitting down opposite of him, looking at him now curiously. "What are you reading?"

"Samurai Rising" he answers promptly, not skipping a beat as he continued to read.

"Oh, cool. I haven't read that one yet. Is it good so far?" I ask, somehow nervous to talk to him.

He seemed really nice, but pretty serious. He was handsome, too. His defined jawline became even more prominent in the light that cast down on his face, making shadows protrude onto his neck.

I could tell that his eyes were brown, but despite the focus etched onto his face, they were filled with wonder and colors much brighter than what I would've thought such a mundane color could carry.

He looked up at me once more, this time slipping a bookmark in between the pages of his book, giving me his full attention.

I became even more nervous under his inquisitive gaze. "Wh-What's your name?" I ask, trying to look him in the eye instead of admiring his every feature.

"I'm Kendrick." he says after taking time to consider.

'Why didnt he just tell me his name immediately?' I wonder, shaking it off to attempt to continue the conversation.

"I'm Astro." I say.

"You like to read, too?" Kendrick asks.

"Yeah, I do. I prefer fiction to nonfictional stories." I say, shrugging.

For the first time, the boy in front of me smiles, albeit a small smile, but a smile nonetheless. It makes my heart melt.

What the fuck?

Before I'm able to ponder the strange feelings I'm experiencing, the bell rings, prompting the both of us to stand up, revealing to me that Kendrick is actually taller than me by a head.

"You're tall." I remark quietly as we make our way out of the large wooden doors, leaving behind the quiet bliss.

"I guess." he says, looking around idly.

"Can I call you Ken?" I ask, trying to keep him talking to me. Trying to keep him interested in the possibility of friendship that I found myself craving more with every word he uttered.

He smiled again, making me follow suit seconds after. "Yeah, I suppose you can." he says.

His serious expression was leaving his face in small amounts every time he turned to look at me as we continued to talk, somehow never running out of topics to laugh and converse over.

The day passed fleetingly with Ken there.

I'd never experienced any degree of happiness at school before, even when I had friends in the past.

None of them were as great as Ken.

We began the walk home together, finding that we lived on the same street.

My friend looked apprehensive at my insistence to walk him home, but allowed me to accompany him on the journey in the end.

His eyes became cold and hard as we arrived at his door, his mouth clamping shut, shooting me a final smile as he turned the doorknob off his front door.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, alright, A-" He was cut off at the sight of a young brunette boy laying inside, his leg bleeding onto the green carpet bellow him, tears glinting in his coal black eyes that held no light.

It scarred me.

The boy looked no older than 5, his pale skin standing out against the dark brown of his hair making him look like a ghost, blood covering his right leg, a small smile hanging eerily on his defeated face.

Ken walked towards him, lifting him up and into his arms with care, not bothering to close the door behind him.

My mind was too muffled to take in any of the words my friend uttered as he rushed at the boy I assumed to be his brother.

I could only worry for the two boy in front of me, taking in their slightly fearful gazes, neither one seeming to be scared of me, but of something I wasnt allowed to see.

I could only imagine what that something was.

"W-Will you be okay?" I ask, my voice cracking and sounding squeaky.

"Yeah..." Ken pauses, regret flashing across his face at the obvious lie slipping through his teeth. "Now, please, go home for now, alright. I'll see you tomorrow." He looked at me pleadingly, a look that broke my heart as I could see the pain in his eyes.

But I nodded, turning around and closing the door.

As I began the walk home, I heard shouts erupt from my friend's house, followed by his strangled screams of agony.

Alright, that was a lot.

Astro is actually not my character. He is an impersonation or alternate version of my good friend SadlyHopelesRomantic who requested his character's place in this book. I hope that I did a good job of him.

We're on the Second Part, guys! POOOOOOG!

I hope you all enjoyed.

Much luv to you all 🫶

1217 words