Part 2: Chapter 27

Astro pov

~flashback (he's 22) ~

I'd been a part of Viper"s gang for years now.

It was taking more and more of my time; more of my innocence.

As Viper got older, her threats grew strickter, her verdict more violent.

Each person that was now part of her gang was to do exactly as she said, or the massacres on our treasured ones in town would commence.

I couldnt do that to Ken.

I couldnt allow his only family to lose his brother.

I couldnt lose my boyfriend.

Boyfriend.

I smile softly at the thought.

It'd only been a few months since we'd confessed and gotten together, but it had made my continuation of life a little more bearable while it lasted.

I was on my way to me and Ken's meeting place to walk him to work once again, the noon sun hanging high in the air, not providing enough heat to the world to keep me from shivering in the early-autumn air.

Ken seemed a lot happier lately.

He had purchased an apartment apparently, moving out with George.

He was safe, at last, and I would sigh with relief for the rest of my life that he didn't have to suffer or be under the threat of pain or death anymore.

I arrived at our meeting place, a small park that had been long abandoned for an unexplainable reason.

Ken said he didnt live far away from here, but he wouldn't tell me where they did live.

It was another one of his secrets.

Just like his brother's first name.

Just like his last name.

"We have to remain a secret until my brother is 18, Astro. For his safety. I really would love for you guys to meet, but my parents have too many strings they could pull to find us. My brother barely knows you exist and you barely know anything about him. It has to stay that way for a few more years." Ken had said.

I sigh, my blending with the air that flowed nonstop through the colorful leaves.

Behind me, I hear faded footsteps turn clear, and spinning around, I'm met with the boy I loved, still much taller than me, that stupid smile that was reserved to only me plastered across his face.

"Hey, babe." he says, kissing me softly, slipping his hand into mine and leading me down the die walk towards his job at the convenience store once more.

I had a blush dusting my cheeks once again, but I would swear to the end of the days that it was the cold of the air around us despite the warmth that enveloped me at the presence of my boyfriend.

"H-hey, Ken." I greet after a few moments of walking, finally able to compose myself enough to utter a few words, despite us having met each other on the pathway next to ten minutes prior.

The boy beside me laughs, looking down at me fleetingly, kissing the back of my hand still interlocked with his.

"Hello, Astro." he says sweetly.

We walk the rest of the way in comfortable silence, arriving at the door of his job too soon for my liking.

I'm pulled in by the waist, feeling one of Ken's hands on the side of my face, his lips kissing my opposite cheek, warmth was spreading over my face and a smile was forming on my lips as my boyfriend pulled away, gazing at me with love and worry mixed into the light brown of his eyes.