Part 2: Chapter 45

George pov

I had just walked into the apartment to hear the shower on down the hall.

Astro didnt get back home until 9pm, so I assumed it was Clay.

I smile secretively to myself, becoming almost giddy with excitement as I rush around, setting out all of Dream's presents for him.

Except for the blob.

That was the most important gift.

I rush around, trying to clean up as I hear the water shut off.

As the sound of the doorknob turning sounds around the flat, I make the last minute decision to hide from my boyfriend, jumping into the closet at the last second.

I hear the loud and somewhat wet footsteps sounding out around me, sending small tremors through the floorboards as Dream searches for me throughout the house.

My bedroom was relatively close to the living room, where I'd set up his gifts, and not long after his exit from the bathroom, I hear his footfalls come to a stop as a theatric gasp leaves his lips.

"George!" he calls, and I hear him running from room to room, opening doors and calling my name with a smile clear in his voice.

Soon enough, the closet door is thrown open, and I'm caught trying to stifle my giggles, my nose scrunched and my cheeks raised to almost blinding me.

Clay tackles me in a hug, a grin to match my own frozen on his face as laughter slips through his open mouth.

"Thank you so much, Georgie! Youre the best!" The praise is never ending, and y the time he's done, my cheeks are dusted an obvious pink.

"Do you want to go look through your gifts?" I ask through my chuckles.

He nods, grasping tightly to my hand and leading me with a breakneck speed to the living room, sitting me down on the couch before plopping onto the cushion beside me.

Dream was looking around the room in awe at the rushed yet meticulously placed objects that were spread across the room decoratively.

He didnt move, and he didnt speak.

He seemed content to live in the moment, the moment he got a birthday, that he got recognized.

And so I let him, allowing him to realize that I loved him enough to gift him with things to celebrate his survival since birth.

Because he had survived.

Nothing in his life came easy, and I could see it in his eyes.

And so I brought him something that, as simple as it might seem, still wasnt easy to accept after years of neglect and indifference.

But it was something I hoped he would carry with him to the cliffs of the earth and rivers of beauty, a treasure of a memory stored sacredly in his heart aside his love for me.

"Do you want to open your gifts now?" I ask after minutes of gazing around the room with him, still holding tightly to his soft hand.

"Y-yeah..." He seemed dazed, disbelieving old the fact that this was all for him.

"Are you sure you dont want some of this stuff? I wouldn't mind sharing with you if-" I cut him off with a kiss to his lips, slow and gentle, a silent communication of understanding.

"Dream," I say, breaking away. "It's all foe you. Only for you."

At that, his eyes well with tears, but ones I know will never spill as a grin was already replacing itself on his face, his eyes alight with final recognition.

He stands up, pulling me by the hand around the room, taking time to marvel in every gift and listening to me as I explained its meaning.

I think Astro came home at some point, but if he ever looked our way or gave any sign of acknowledgement, it was unseen my us as we continued to explore the few gifts I'd collected.

Ken was with me, walking around with a smile holding much more than what had become his mundane fondness.

He would point to things and give me a thumbs up, other times staring off into space or gazing at the two of us with longing and contentment.

Soon enough, Clay had worn himself out and was sitting on the couch with cheeks reddened from the amount of times he'd smiled.

He was surrounded by the presents he'd grabbed and was sorting through them, his face lighting up as he found one he'd somewhat forgotten about and marveling over it once again.

As things died down, I position myself at Dream's side, nuzzling into the fabric of his brand new hoodie as I rested my head on his chest, taking in the smell of store bought material.

I was smiling like an idiot, still alight with a secret that I would reveal to Clay after a little while, but needing to talk to him before I revealed my final surprise.

"Happy birthday, Clay." I whisper, feeling him pull me further into his embrace.

"Thank you, darling. You're actually the best." he says, kissing my forehead.

"Did you enjoy your birthday?" The question is rhetorical, a throwaway phrase, but for some reason it strikes the blonde speechless, leaving us to sit in silence for minutes long.

When he finally spoke again, my anticipation was eased, but my heart dropped with my lowering anxiety at hearing what he had to say.

His birthday was meant to be a new experience for him, not a reminder of his old ages, but I ruined yet another otherwise perfect thing.

My boyfriend's voice as filled with tears as he spoke again, becoming undone with a single uttered sentence.

"It was the best thing ever... it was better than my whole life has been to me."

And then he's crying, face stuffed into my shirt as his body wracks with sobs that I cant discern as happy or saddened.

I feel useless in an instant.

From the provider of happiness to the comforter of his unworldly depression.

I could only offer my understanding, my gift long forgotten.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Alright, that cuncludes (idfk how to spell that) all chapters for today.

We're about to finally get the spill on Clay's life, which is fun, but you guys are gonna have to wait a good almost 20 hours for that bc I'm done writing for today.

My fingers hurt like fuck from typing, playing Minecraft, and braiding my long-ass hair.

Gods...

But you know I'll do it all again tomorrow for u guys 😁

Much luv 🫶

Enjoy your life and peace out

1087 words