[6] Gained trust

At night, I was rolling from right to left on the futon. I could not even keep my eyes closed. The weather was hot and I slept topless but still I wasn't sleepy at all. I decided to grab a pack of cigarettes and lighter they haven't taken from me and went outside. I found a cliff few meters away and sat on the edge of it. I rested my right forearm on my right knee and lighted the cigarette. The smoke made me remind me of home. As I kept smoking, my tears left my eyes and I kept staring at the sky full of stars.

"Hey, smoking is forbidden here!" I heard Dopey's voice and turned my head to him. He came with his lantern shining at me.

"The smoke exposed you, you know?" He said but then he saw my swollen eyes. I wiped my tears.

"Hey... if you needed someone to talk to..."

"No, it's fine. I just needed  to be alone for a while." He sat down next to me and I got rid of the cigarette.

"You know, this is my place when I need to be alone. Not everyone can keep the smile all the time."

"It's really good, right?" He nodded.

"One time... when I was almost caught by the smugglers dad mentioned... I was scared to death but I was even more angry at myself I ran away when Tian told me to and didn't stay to help him. I went for help of course but... I just can't be brave enough to stand up to bad people when my friends are in danger."

"But you were there for him, right?" He nodded but kept embracing his knees from anxiety.

"I am the opposite. I can stand up even to God if it was necessary but now I have no one by my side... and when I open up to someone, I end up being betrayed and left alone by people who rather follow the laws than involve themselves with me."

"Is it the reason of your tears?" I nodded.

"You know, I may not be brave enough but I'd never leave my friends. Even though I was scared to death, I just couldn't stand the thought my friend would be in danger and I wouldn't even be there to help him. That makes me overcome my fear..." I smiled.

"You are actually pretty kind like everyone says."

"And you don't seem like such a vandal anymore."

"Oh, don't say this. You still haven't seen my dark side."

"Smoking is not enough?" I laughed. So innocent.

"If you call smoking dark side then you have a lot of things to learn about the dark world." He swallowed. I thought he's gonna keep his distance but I felt his fingers on my hand.

"If you need a partner in crime, I'll be here for you." I looked into his eyes. He seemed actually confident when he said it. It made me speechless. I kept staring at him for more than one minute.

"Don't you trust me a little too much?" I asked.

"That's just how I am... it's stupid, right? I'm always being called naive for that but I fully trust people after developing a bond with them without knowing them that much." He smiled nervously. I smirked.

"You are nothing like him..."

"Who?" He asked but I didn't answer. In the end we returned to his room and fell asleep just for few hours.

The next day Dopey made us breakfast. It tasted better than I thought. Even Tian and Officer joined us.

"So Yok, have you already got along with Longtae?" Tian asked.

"I suppose you can say it." I smiled at him and he coughed.

"That's great, we have less things to worry about. By the way, I found a  used cigarette near your place. Do you know anything about it?" This time it was me who coughed when Officer looked at me.

"Oh come on, Chief, Yok doesn't know the rules in the village very well so don't torment him about it." Tian leaned on his arm.

"Shouldn't it be obvious in the place full of trees?" I should pay more attention to my background.

"I already told him about it so he won't do it again." Dopey stood up for me.

"Aw, from picking up on him you changed to standing up for him. Is there something we should know about?" Tian teased him and Village Chief coughed.

"Well, I think that's enough. I trust Yok he won't do it again. We should finish the breakfast before it gets cold." Tian kept staring at me and Dopey and then he whispered something to Officer's ear he giggled about.

"What were you whispering there?" Dopey asked.

"Oh, you two just reminded me of me and Chief at the beginning. He kept shutting me off and telling me to leave until he wasn't able to live one single day without my presence."

"Don't tell me you didn't feel the same way!" He defended himself. Tian whistled and looked away.  We both laughed at their little quarrel.

"And you two remind me of my friends who are madly in love right now." I said.

"Really? Definitely not more than me and Chief."

"I wouldn't bet on it. I couldn't even touch White without Sean pushing me away." I laughed.

"Names of your friends?" I nodded.

"Let's try it." Said Dopey and hugged Tian but Officer stood up immediately.

"Hey!" Dopey separated himself from Tian.

"You are still lucky. Sean literally punched my face and cut my upper lip when I did that." They stared at me without saying anything.

"Is it even healthy to be this jealous?!"

I shrugged. It's normal when it's someone like Sean. If I didn't stop them, Sean would really let Dan shoot himself in front of him... and I don't think I'd stop them now.

"Do you two want to go with me and my class today on a small educational trip around the village? You could help us with packing the goods for customers who come here." Said Tian and we both nodded.

"Should I keep you company so you don't fight them again?" Officer looked at Tian.

"Me? Fight? I think I had enough of suicidal situations. Don't worry, if there were any problems, Yok can do martial arts." I smirked proudly. Officer frowned at me. Guess someone is jealous.

"Fine, but I'll give you walkie-talkie so you can inform me." Tian nodded and Officer left.

"We finished eating so let's go." Tian said and we followed him.