[24] Best friend

It's Monday morning and I'm sitting in a bus with headphones in my ears. The seat next to me was empty and it felt unusually lonelier than before when I traveled alone.

It took me a whole day and it was already evening when I finally arrived. It's faster by car but it's not such a big difference in the end. I started to recognize local nature when I walked the road. I'm home again and felt so refreshed.

I turned on a flashlight on my phone but I think I'd get there even without it.

When I came to the village, I could still see some lights on. The first person I visited was my father. He was still sitting outside our bengali while looking at the sky.

When he heard my footsteps, he immediately got off his chair and approached me.

"Longtae!" I could see how happy he was to see me and I quickly hugged him.

"Dad! I'm happy to see you again!" He smiled at me.

"I was really worried about you. It's really hard to get in touch with anyone here and you traveled such a long way. But... where are others? Did they let you leave like this?" I sadly looked at him.

"No... I'm not here for long. They are waiting for me in Bangkok..." He noticed something was wrong.

"Longtae, I won't judge you for anything that happened there. I can see that something troubles you. Your body is shaking. Feel free to tell me about it." I held his hand tightly and broke into tears.

"S-something happened, Dad!" I shouted and he stroked my back.

"Don't forget to breathe. Tell me when you are ready." I'm so lucky to have him.

"Dad... how would you feel about me falling in love... with a guy?" He didn't push me away or look shocked. Moreover, he hugged me even tighter."

"Man or woman, that's not important to me, you know that. I care just about your happiness. But that's not everything you wanted to tell me, right?" I nodded with my head leaning on his back.

"It's Yok, Dad... I somehow fell in love with him and it felt great. He told me he feels the same way but after our protest... he was caught by the police... one of our friends betrayed him and..."

"Shh... just let it all out. You must have been bothered by it a lot. I know what happened there. Tian informed me about the situation there when he visited his parents. And I'm very proud of you." I did not expect to hear this at all. It was so heartwarming.

"B-but it was the wrong thing to do..."

"Sometimes you have to break the rules to help those who need it. And that's the most important to me, you did not think of yourself but of the people who deserve the recognition. I'm proud of those boys as well but I'm very sorry for the situation with Yok. I could see how much you liked him when he came here."

"Huh?"

"He was staring at you when he couldn't fall asleep and you always went after him when he disappeared. Any parent could see that."

"S-so that's why you wanted me to go with them?" He nodded.

"And it looks like my purpose was successful but now... you are looking for a solution to get him out of there, right?" I nodded.

"But legally! I don't plan to break there and-."

"I know, I know. But you are too nice to leave anyone alone. Tian is already asleep but you can talk to him tomorrow. I'm sure he'll help you. He understands the laws and other complicated things more." I giggled.