[15] Scapegoat

Gram's POV

"Dan... are you really sure about letting Yok go? Maybe if you tried harder..."

"Who would I be to take the happiness from him. I saw he was happier than usual and that is enough for me. I wouldn't force him into an impossible relationship with me." My smile faded away.

"I know very well how you feel... you may think we don't have anything in common but I know how hard it is to love someone who doesn't love you back. But it just seems impossible to move on..."

"Gram, you haven't forgiven me, had you? For that one time..."

"I did." He was shocked. And stared at me for a few seconds before he looked in front of himself again.

"W-why would you do that? You don't feel anything towards me."

"Because you at least feel sorry for your action! And I can sympathize with you. We decided to let you in among us so you are not the only one to blame. You can't hate yourself forever for that. Look at Black, he did so many shits to us, framed Sean and others are still able to talk to him and follow him. I'm surprised myself there is always something I have to tell him.  But I can't keep my mouth shut when I see his ugly face."

"It must hurt. I at least lost him to a good person but you..." I looked down.

"At least he won't bother her now when he's sleeping with Todd. That guy doesn't care what he does is always hurting people around himself. White did many shits for him and he was the cause of White's and Sean's break up. Everyone kept saving his ass and got his life destroyed... I can't believe I really liked him as a friend of course..." A tear left my eye.

"Would you be so hurt if it was just a friend?" I looked away.

"Fine! When you need to know! I had a crush on him! But it was actually White... when I saw the big change, I started to feel attracted to him. But it doesn't matter when it wasn't even him. I was naive to think about anything..."

"Thank you." I looked at him in shock.

"For what? For pouring out my heart?"

"For trusting me enough to tell me something you wouldn't say to your friends."

"I know them. They would make fun of me and tell it to Black who'd be the worst and even mock me for that. But you are mature enough to keep it a secret between us, right?" I smiled.

"Right." He smiled as well.

"I have nowhere to go now so can I stay at your place? I'd like to see your and Yok's artwork."

"I already threw it in the trash."

"Yok's-?"

"Mine. Everything. Suddenly... I felt empty and hated my work. After the break up, I couldn't even look at it but I couldn't throw Yok's hard work away so I just moved it away where I couldn't see it."

"Then draw something for me. We still have a lot of time till midnight."

"Are you sure? Yok is the artist here. My style is..."

"I saw your style and I really liked it. Art can have many forms. Why should it be so perfect when you can be original?" He nodded and looked happy I understood his concept. From nothing we already found ourselves in each other. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to talk to different people we wouldn't think of interacting.

It was hard to stay still and do nothing but it was worth it. I went to look at my portrait and was shocked how much I liked it.

"Damn, it looks like graffiti on the paper! And the colors, while I am pretty colorful, the background is greyish."

"That's because you look very cheerful from the outside but the opposite is true. Wait, I'm sorry, I didn't mean too..."

"Oh come on, don't be so anxious over little things and you are right. This perfectly describes me."

"I know you always cared about others but had someone truly care about you?" My smile faded away...

"That's complicated... but it always felt really one sided. I never knew if they cared or were just taking from me and I gladly helped them..." He smiled.

"It hurts, right? To hide your pain behind your smile. Has someone ever asked about your feelings?" I stroked my head. It hurts hearing it like this like a blade in my back I've never noticed I had.

"W-well, I never wanted to talk about my feelings anyways..." But a tear flowed down my eye without me noticing.

"If you want, you can talk to me. You tried to cheer me up by telling me your story but you didn't do it for yourself. You should let it all out. It looks like you hold it in for so long."
Something broke in me and I had the urge to tell him everything. He looks like he's the only one who'd listen to me as well. I deeply inhaled and exhaled.

"It started with my parents death... after that, I met Black and he accepted me in his gang. I got angry because my parents were purposely killed by that person but they covered it with a typical car accident and that guy just paid the bill but was not charged with murder. Black wanted me to fight with him against the system with Sean, Gumpa and Yok as well. I thought he understood him and wanted to help me with the frustration I felt but in the end he just used me. When we were jumping of the high building... it was five meters, he didn't even help me and I distracted those guards so everyone could leave. My leg was broken and just Gumpa noticed I wasn't with them and came to save me. Then Black did the similar thing to Sean and Yok. He always cared about himself but I still put up with that because I had no other friends. When I had an idea and the toy frog bit my finger, Black didn't even let me say anything as he had another mission in his mind. I still put up with that. He did several shits to me I got used to and when White as Black cared about me, I found it strange but it was warming and I started to have crush on him. That's why I was shocked how Sean won him over when he acted like Black towards me, strangled him, yelled at him, hurt him... When White showed his true self, it all started to make sense and my little crush faded away. I started to like Eugene even more until Black ruined it all again."

I was trembling and Dan put his hand on mine. I didn't even know I needed this talk about my personal life.

This scene 😭:

Also: