CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: IN THE ABYSS

Mia's heart felt like it had dropped into her stomach. Her fear rose with each passing second, and nausea ripped through her bones. She could feel Ryan's mind whirling, and she was being shown unexpected things. Her father was performing horrific acts. Mia could barely keep her eyes open as she observed the scene of her father torturing innocent people. Ryan enjoyed the suffering of others, while her father actively participated in the cruel ritual. He pounced on one of their victims, his eyes filled with glee as his hands roamed over their body. She observed how he tortured Felix's father, Michael. But Mia's terror heightened when she witnessed her father's admiring and hungry gaze directed at Ryan. The sight was unpleasant and deeply painful for Mia.

Mia abruptly ended her mental link with Ryan. She took a step back, her entire body shaking from dread and revulsion. How could her father, whom she thought was so cool and collected, be capable of such depravity? She didn't know what to do, and it appeared that her only option was to pray to the universe for his soul and the souls of their cult's innocent victims.

Deep in thought, Mia arrived home, avoiding any communication with others. Her father was alone at home, waiting to talk to her, while her mother was at a literary banquet. Mia wanted to leave as soon as she saw her father.

"Mia, I need to talk to you," Arthur stated.

Mia walked on silently. When Arthur grasped her arm, it felt like his touch seared her skin. She jerked away and said:

"Don't bother touching me again."

"What's going on, Mia?"

"I do not want to speak with you. You fucking monster!"

"What are you talking about? I do not understand you."

"Don't you get what I'm saying? I'm referring to what you did to all those vulnerable individuals. I'm aware that you tormented them and drank their blood. You enjoyed it, Dad. I know you appreciated it."

"Daughter, I..."

"Be quiet. I understand you were engaged in the torture and murder of Felix's father, Michael. You are a wicked murderer. I hate you!"

Mia sobbed and collapsed to the ground.

Arthur stood speechless, unable to find the right words to say. Finally, he decided to have a conversation with Mia while sitting on the ground in front of her, under the dim light of the room.

"I have no excuses for what I did. I suppose I might say I was quite young. Your great-grandfather was a wizard. That deeply offended your grandfather, but it thrilled me to the core. Your great-grandfather practised light magic. However, I enjoy the attraction of dark magic."

Arthur reminisced about his college days, where he met Ryan, a talented student skilled in dark magic and the founder of the Shadow Cult.

"Ryan and I met in university. His charismatic charm exuded a magnetic allure, drawing people in effortlessly. He soon established the Shadow Cult. I was pleased; I felt evil and powerful. We did many insane things since everything seemed natural to us, power made us invincible, and anything was OK. Until we murdered Michael, I saw the sect's horrors and wanted to leave."

"Did you own Forestvale Manor?"

"I inherited it from your great-grandfather. Then I donated it to the cult. The house has plenty of power. It carries a huge quantity of magic and consciousness because it was produced at a very ancient power centre. It does not belong to the light or the dark. Its power is neutral."

"Why did Ryan let you leave the cult alive when he killed Eliza, the woman he loved because she didn't want to stay in the cult?"

"Because I sold Forestvale Manor to him."

"After he disappeared into another dimension, you regained possession of the house."

"That is my story, Mia. I know you detest me, as you should, but I hope you will forgive me one day."

"What about Mom? Was she involved in the cult as well?"

"No, I met your mother later. I can say that she saved my life. Even if she knows nothing."

Mia was relieved. At least her mother was completely innocent in all of this, which brought Mia some relief. She strode purposefully into her room, swiftly closing the door behind her. She lay on the bed, tired.

Mia succumbed to the darkness within her, consumed by its power. She returned to witness her father, whom she had always admired as a hero and role model, performing her most horrific atrocities. And in her dream, she began to envision a different reality. Ryan approached her with a cup of blood and asked her to sip from it. She accepted and kissed Ryan on the lips. His lips were burning and searing. She wanted to give birth to the Heir of Darkness. She craved complete power. She was worse than her father.

With a sudden gasp, Mia awoke from her dream. In a chaotic frenzy, objects in her room started levitating and hurtling in all directions. When someone approached her, she just moved her hand to say no. She closed her eyes, afraid of that power, and everything resumed its normal state. Mia's power had awakened, and she knew there was no turning back. She was destined to become the Queen of Darkness, a pivotal figure in the realm of shadows and power. Yet, amidst the darkness, she found a twisted sense of enjoyment—a disturbing revelation even to herself. That is why she was disgusted and outraged at herself.