CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE: A NEW FRIEND

Ryan was outdoors in the jail yard, getting some fresh air. He had been feeling cooped up in his cell all day and needed a break from the confined space. The sun felt warm on his skin as he took a deep breath, momentarily forgetting about his surroundings. Jeff came up to him.

"Hello, Ryan. I was conversing with the lawyer. They are going to review my sentencing. Thank you. Without your help, I would not have been able to pursue an appeal."

Ryan offered a genuine smile.

"I am thrilled for you, Jeff. You are a good boy."

"The lawyer told me to tell you something. It appears that someone set fire to Forestvale Manor."

"What the hell?"

Ryan burst out laughing. Jeff gave him a puzzled look.

"She is nuts as hell. Someone else could not have done it. I need to consult with my lawyer. Mia, as the owner of the mansion, is entitled to compensation. Xena possesses a lot of personality. She reminds me of myself."

A month had passed, and Xena found herself seated in the campus cafeteria, preparing for an important exam. A new waitress arrived to attend. She stood at average height with short, dark brown hair, sandy skin, and large brown eyes.

"Good morning! What do you want?"

Xena noticed her and was astonished to see that her regular waiter was not present.

"Good morning! Where is Eric?"

"The previous waiter resigned. He could have found something he liked. Did you like him?"

Xena smiled, admiring the girl's exquisite features.

"No, I just asked because I was surprised not to see him."

"My name is Brisa. And you?"

"Xena. You have an unusual name, don't you?"

"In Spanish, Brisa signifies a breeze. I am from Isla Soleada, a small Caribbean island with Spanish ancestry."

"Have you been here long? Because you speak excellent English."

"Since I was three years old, my mother relocated to Ablington Island to work as a diplomat."

"That explains it. You must have picked up the language quickly after being exposed to it at a young age. And now you work here." Xena said.

"Are you hitting on me, Xena? I have to tell you, I love it. You have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen."

Xena blushed at the unexpected compliment. 

"I'm glad you think so, Brisa. And no, I'm not hitting on you. Just making conversation."

"Okay, then let me explain. I work as a waitress while also attending this university. I'm studying performing arts. I want to be an actress."

"That's excellent. I study physics, specifically quantum physics."

"Joder (fuck). Sorry, I occasionally say something in Spanish; with my mother, I always speak in Spanish," Brisa replied, smiling. Wow, your studies must be quite challenging; you're extremely intelligent."

Xena chuckled:

"Thanks, but I have my struggles with it too. I guess we both have our passions that drive us."

Brisa nodded in agreement:

"Absolutely, it's what keeps us going."

Xena burst into laughter. She hadn't done that for a long time.

"I'm a weird and troublesome person," Xena commented.

"You're not just attractive; you're also intriguing," Brisa said.

"I'm not in the mood for love right now."

Brisa asked:

"Have you broken up with anyone recently?"

"Yes, and I still adore her completely. I am a moron."

"Why did you leave her?"

"I left her because she is going to have a child with my father."

"Fuck. You must tell me everything." Brisa delicately touched Xena's arm. "Whenever you're ready."

Ryan talked with his lawyer.

"I want to rebuild Dagon Mansion. I believe it will be in a bad state as a result of years of neglect. That house is for my child."

"'Sir, you have my word. Mia will receive the Forestvale Manor fire compensation payment,' the lawyer assured Ryan."

"I knew I could trust you. Thank you so much."

Mia returned from university and picked up the mail before going to her grandmother's house. She held a letter. She opened it with interest the moment she walked in. She was taken aback when she heard about the compensation.

"What is it that Forestvale Manor was destroyed by fire, and I was the owner?"

A profound sadness enveloped Mia's heart, leaving a lingering ache. Despite the tragedies that had occurred there, she cherished the house. Mia was acutely aware that it was a unique house of consciousness. And everything had disappeared. Mia felt an emptiness inside her.