CHAPTER FIFTY: A CRIME

Warnings: This chapter contains references to violent murder and blood.

Mia arrived at Foresvale Manor to speak with Ryan. The door was open. As Mia entered, a pungent metallic odor assaulted her senses. When she entered the main room, she saw a horrific scene. Felix was resting on his back in the center of the room. His chest was red from the amount of blood that had soaked into his shirt. He was pale, with closed eyelids and an open mouth. He was dead, yet Mia leaned in and touched him without showing any reaction. She couldn't believe what she saw.

"Felix, who did this to you?" Mia inquired, her eyes welling up with anguish.

She heard voices on the first floor. Someone was racing down the stairs. It was Ryan. Mia looked up at him.

"How on earth could you... Ryan?"

Ryan approached Mia and stated:

"I did not murder him, Mia. I swear." Ryan said this while holding his wounded hands and shirt.

Mia sobbed, overwhelmed by a mix of grief for Felix, confusion, and concern for Ryan. 

"Mia, please don't touch anything."

"I'm going to call the police," Mia said nervously.

"You can call anyone you want. I've got nothing to hide."

"Are you sure?"

"Look through my memories. You can do it."

Mia looked Ryan in the eyes. Ryan was racing down the stairs, blood on his lips, when he spotted someone. He entered the room and approached the bloodied Felix. 'I've always despised you,' he said. 'Since I discovered Eliza was pregnant, I couldn't kill you because you were her child, and she was the woman I loved. And now, someone else has done it. This is ridiculous.'

"You didn't murder him. But you knew who he was. Please tell me."

Ryan remained silent. Then he spoke. Mia blushed.

"I'm going to call the police."

Rogers and Brady joined the forensic team later. Rogers told Brady:

"The lovers are at the crime scene. What else could we expect?" 

Brady responded:

"Let's go talk to them." 

Mia and Ryan were astounded at the mansion's entry steps. Mia appeared to be about to pass out, yet her expression remained determined. Her hands were stained with blood. Ryan stood on the opposite side, shirtless and with bloodied hands. Mia and Ryan led Rogers and Brady inside. Rogers inquired.

"Who exactly was the victim?"

Mia replied:

"His name was Felix."

Rogers stated:

"What's his last name?"

Mia replied:

"I honestly don't know."

"How and where did you meet the victim? What was your connection to him?"

"He was my ex-boyfriend."

"And you don't even know what his last name was?"

Brady joined in:

"The girl is quite impressed, Rogers. We will interview her later."

Rogers stated:

"Okay. Mr. Dagon. We met again. Did you know the victim?"

"He was Mia's boyfriend. I don't know anymore."

"A young man is murdered in your house, and you know nothing."

"Ryan, tell them the truth!" Mia exclaimed.

Ryan remained deafeningly silent.

Rogers stated:

"If you know the truth, Miss Richardson, tell it to me yourself."

"Mia, you saw nothing. You are completely clueless." Ryan stated.

"Mr. Dagon, you are under arrest for the murder of Felix... last name unknown."

Ryan did not try to resist arrest. Mia rushed out in tears, her heart heavy with sorrow and disbelief. She couldn't say anything because no one would believe she knew what happened by entering Ryan's memories. She had no option but to act. Brady, on the other hand, was immediately beside her. Theolinda looked at her with compassionate eyes, but she didn't want compassion; she wanted to identify Felix's killer and deliver them over to the authorities herself. And she planned to do it. That was obvious to her.

Suddenly, Forestvale Manor's voice echoed:

"This is your chance to help Ryan redeem himself."

Mia, after hearing these words, said to Theolinda:

"Could I please go home and wash up?"

She replied sympathetically:

"You are free to leave. We will continue this conversation at a later time."

With a resolve to uncover Felix's murderer and ensure justice, Mia departed, determined to hold the perpetrator accountable for their actions.