CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: THE DARK MATING CEREMONY

Mia sank into the soft embrace of her bed, relishing the silkiness of the sheets against her skin. Xena sat next to her, massaged her back, and said:

"How are you doing, Mia?" Xena asked with concern. "Why are you still in bed? Would you like me to stay with you?" She winked, trying to lighten the mood.

Mia surged up with a jolt, gently brushing Xena's hand away from her body.

"You must get away from me. I am a danger to everyone around me."

"What are you saying, Mia? What happened?"

"Xena, I found out something terrible about my father yesterday. Ryan told me that my father was a Shadow Cult member. And it's correct; I confirmed it with my father last night."

"But Mia," Xena interjected, "that has nothing to do with you."

"I am sinking into the Darkness, Xena. And I enjoy it. That's the worst. I crave power. I desire... "I should not tell you."

"Mia, we can work through this together. I know you love me."

"I love you. And it may be the only positive emotion I have. And my magical abilities awakened. I am not sure how to keep them under control. I do not want to damage you."

"But Mia," Xena started, trying to reason with her.

"Go away!"

Mia pushed Xena up, launching her into the air and hitting the bedroom wall.

"Xena, are you okay?"

Mia didn't dare approach Xena since she didn't want to injure her any more.

After a little period of disorientation, Xena opened her eyes, feeling somewhat dizzy from the impact but confident that she could get up. She then stood up. She observed Mia's distress and wanted to hug and console her, but she also recognized her dread of Mia's power. She then told Mia to relax.

"I am leaving, Mia. Not because I'm frightened of you. But I'd like to beg for help. Don't succumb to the Darkness any longer. I love you."

Xena visited Rowena's World. Tabitha was working behind the counter.

"I must speak with Rowena immediately!"

"She's already at her house."

"Okay, thanks."

Xena ran from the store. Although Tabitha was perplexed, she decided to continue working due to a new client arriving.

Rowena was walking out of her house, across the street from the shop, when she encountered an apprehensive Xena.