CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: GUILTY

Warning: In this chapter, someone commits suicide.

Ryan was at the police station, assisting Tyler Rogers and Theolinda Brady with their inquiries.

"Mr. Dagon, can you tell us exactly what happened?" Rogers inquired.

"Mia and I were speaking when someone shot Mia in the arm. I couldn't see who shot her because I wasn't facing the door. Furthermore, as soon as I saw Mia injured and losing consciousness, my priority was to save her and contact an ambulance and the police."

Rogers continued to say:

"Why do you have a cut on your neck?"

Ryan took a deep breath and stated, looking Rogers in the eye:

"Mia did nothing. I cut myself for totally personal reasons, unrelated to the police."

"Whether this information is relevant to the police or not is entirely up to us, not you, Mr. Dagon. Why did you sever your throat?"

Ryan's eyes darted around the room, avoiding direct eye contact with Rogers. He hesitated before responding:

"I was in a desperate situation."

"Was your lover, Mia, going to leave you?"

"Mia isn't my lover! I will not respond to anything else until my lawyer is present."

Rogers had outraged Theolinda. She stated:

"You may go, Mr. Dagon."

"With pleasure," replied Ryan.

When Ryan exited the room, Rogers expressed his disapproval:

"I don't like this guy."

"Neither do I, but you went too far with your questions."

"I want more information, Brady."

Mia was released from the hospital and transported home many hours later. Xena and Melissa both suggested she lie down and rest. She consented and asked for privacy. Xena went home, and Melissa retreated to her room to complete her novel.

Quietly leaving her room, Mia made her way downstairs and headed to Ryan's mansion. She wished to speak to him.