CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE: SOMETHING SURPRISING

Mia walked through Glouminster's streets. When she approached a narrow cobblestone street, she noticed a tiny park nearby, hidden from curious eyes. As she approached, she heard a strangled wail. An adolescent sat in the most secluded area, beside a magnificent stone fountain. She had long, straight brown hair. Mia got up and sat next to her. The girl leapt.

"Slow down. I come in peace."

"Sorry. I was kidnapped by a cult not long ago, and I'm frightened. I swear! I am not insane!" Mia reached out and placed a comforting hand on the girl's trembling shoulder, silently acknowledging her fear and trauma.

"I believe you. What's your name? My name is Mia Richardson."

The girl jumped with delight.

"I cannot believe it! You are Mia Richardson. I am a huge fan of your Wattpad stories. Mia, I adore you!"

Mia smiled warmly, feeling grateful for the girl's admiration and support.

"Thank you," Mia responded.

"I am Alisha Rogers."

"It's a joy meeting you. I was away for a few days and am not current on local news. Did the Shadow Cult kidnap you?"

"Yeah, a guy lied to me, and then there was that terrible woman; I think her name is Laura. Thankfully, my father arrested them. Detective Tyler Rogers is my father."

Mia was taken aback. Why hadn't Xena told her about her mother's arrest? She hadn't said much, to be honest.

Alisha inquired:

"Have you heard about the Shadow Cult? Strange happenings happened there."

"Yes, I am familiar with it. I also participated in their rituals."

"I am nervous because odd things have happened to me since that day. I can't tell the psychologist because she will think I'm insane."

"Tell me about what happened to you."

Alisha began explaining:

"When I was in the middle of the ceremony, in front of me, a swirl appeared; I'm not sure if it was light or smoke... This whirlpool got inside my chest. It stung for a second before going away. Since then, I have had strange dreams of sex and violence. And I have unusual desires."

Alisha started to cry.

"Something similar happened to me," Mia said.

"Yes? I had a great yearning to attending church. My mother is a practicing Catholic who baptized both my brother Jake and me. My dad is an atheist. I was at church when I observed the priest's aide. He is a young man in seminary. When I saw him, I wanted to jump on him and seduce him. Inside the church, I wanted to have sex with him. It is awful!"