CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO: LAURA'S PLANS

"Mia, please come in. I don't understand what you're talking about."

"Stop with this nonsense. Tell me where she is."

"The police will never catch her. She's disappeared, never to be seen again. Ryan will be found guilty of this crime."

"This time, Ryan isn't guilty. I will discover Felix's murderer, even if it involves journeying through all known and unknown dimensions."

Laura burst into laughter.

"Xena doesn't want to hear you defend Ryan so passionately."

"I have a clear conscience, and I'm going to act on it regardless of what anyone thinks."

Mia turned to leave to meet Xena, her expression filled with sadness.

"Xena, I..."

Xena stated:

"Mia, don't create excuses for yourself. You have the opportunity to act on your conscience. I'm always last on your priority list."

"No, Xena. You do not understand what I am saying."

"You are the one who does not understand me, Mia. I love you and can handle a lot, but this is too much."

Laura stepped in.

"This is heartwarming, but let's get to work putting away the food."

Xena stated:

"I'll help you, Mom."

Mia went away, saddened.

Brady was sitting in the office reading reports when Rogers sulked in with a gloomy expression.

"We have to release Ryan Dagon."

"Why?" Theolinda wondered.

"Because the person who stabbed Felix was left-handed, whereas Ryan Dagon is right-handed."

Ryan immediately called Mia in a rush after leaving the police station.

"Mia, I'm free."

Mia was taken aback and dropped the peeled potato.

"What happiness! However, what happened?"