16

"P'Freen!"

This was what she heard before feeling a strong force onto her body, only to find a cute kid hugging her like a koala. She had her arms and legs wrapped tightly around her, giggling loudly.

Freen automatically, held the younger protectively, before gently putting her down after a while.

"Becbec? To what do I owe your visit?" She asked smiling.

"Your mom invited us for lunch." So this is her mom's surprise. The Armstrong's are visiting for lunch. The kid smiled, showing her pretty teeth. Freen can't help but ruffle her hair fondly.

"Hey! Stop messing my hair."

"Sorry. Sorry. You're just so cute, pumpkin." The older said, proceeding to pinch the girl's nose before running away from the fuming kid.

Freen and Becky are 10 and 14 respectively. They have been each other's constant companion, since Becky's family came back to Thailand and decided to live across the other's family.

After a while, they decided to sit under the tree in the Chankimha residence's garden.

They sat in silence for a couple of minutes, just feeling the moment with their hands intertwined. Freen decided to steal a glance, that's when she noticed that Becky had this look of curiosity that made her decide to ask her what the problem is.

"Do you have anything in mind, princess? A question perhaps? You look confused and curious." She started.

"Ahh... It's nothing. Don't mind me." She replied, looking down.

"I don't think so. It seems like you're troubled by something. You can tell me ask or anything, okay? No need to be shy, baby."

...

"Well... I was just curious. Why... Why don't you have other friends at school aside from Richie and I? Why are the other kids making fun of you and avoiding you?"

The question took her aback. Freen's smile slowly faded with what she heard. Her mood suddenly turned upside down.

Is this it? Is she going to avoid me after this? Will she also mock me for what I am? Will she think I'm weird? Am I going to lose my best friend? These questions flooded Freen's young mind, making her forget the curious little kid waiting for her answer.

Seeing her Phi lost in her thoughts, frowning quietly, Becky became anxious, internally scolding herself. This might be a sensitive topic for her.

Freen got back to reality when she felt soft hands, holding hers and big brown eyes looking back at her.

"If you don't want to tell me about it, we can talk about it some other time."

"No, it's okay. I think we have to talk about it now."

"Well, you see. I'm... different." She started. "Biologically speaking, I am a bit different from normal people. I am an intersex. I have both a male and female genitalia, but my appearance is dominantly female. This is why some kids, and even adults, think of me as a freak. When they find out about this, they consider me as an abnormality an abomination or a freak of nature."

"P'Freen. I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." Becky was cut off by Freen's finger on her lips.

"Don't. It's okay. You have nothing to be sorry about it. I am not ashamed of who I am. I don't consider this as a big problem. Mom and Dad explained everything to me and helped me accept me fully. It's just sad how people do not listen and understand first before they judge. I can't say that I am not affected by what I hear from those who don't understand, but I try not to take it to heart and to pray that they one day may have clarity of mind and an understanding heart." She ended with a genuine smile.

"I'm sorry you had to go through everything because of being yourself, but I am so proud of you." Becky pulled her in for a tight hug where they expressed what their hearts wanted to say but their minds and mouths cannot.