22

"Richie, be honest with me. Do you like her?"

This was the question that has been bugging Becky's mind for weeks, before she finally decided to confront her brother.

Richie was clearly taken aback, as he closed the book he was reading and faced his little sister who was standing in front of his door, with arms crossed in front of her chest.

"What's with the sudden interrogation, Becbec?" He asked, pulling her to sit with him on his bed.

"See? I haven't even said a name but you're already thinking of someone. So, you do like her, don't you? Answer me." Becky continued, looking at him maliciously.

"Okay. Okay. I'll answer you, but first, tell me why you are asking. Why are you so concerned whether I like Freen or not?" Richie said, raising his hands in the air as a sign of defeat.

As soon as the younger heard the name her brother mentioned, she felt her heart constrict. So, she was right, he was thinking of Freen. Does this mean he really likes her?

"It's just that I always notice how you treat her so differently from the rest. You treat her like she is a fragile glass. Don't think that I don't know that one of the reasons she is no longer bullied is because you have been protecting her behind her back. You also make sure that she gets to eat on time, always leaving food on her desk at school. You always hang out with her and partner up for school works too. I also sometimes catch you stealing a glimpse on her and smiling. Now, try to deny that you have feelings for her." She continuously said.

Richie just sighed with what he heard. Was he that obvious? Well, seems like it. Too bad the target of his affection is kinda dense and only had her eyes on her little sister who is also oblivious. What sad cycle, right?

"Well, I..." He didn't know how to start, so he looked at his sister who's eagerly waiting for his answer, while scratching his non-itchy eyebrow before proceeding. "Yes. As you have already said, I do like her. But I know that she doesn't see me that way. She only thinks of me as a brother, but who knows, she might see me one day, right?"

He looked carefully at her, waiting for any reaction, which he got right away. The way his sister quickly frowned looking so annoyed gave everything away. This made him internally smile. Well, well, what do we have here? I guess Freen has a chance after all.

Yes, he does like Freen. But he is not selfish. He wishes nothing but happiness for the person he loves. And if that happiness is to be with someone else, specifically his sister, he's willing to make way. It's also like hitting two birds with one stone anyway, as it seems like his little sis also feels the same way. The only problem is, she might not be aware of it yet.

What if he tries to ignite a fire to set them up? He thought, before he was sent back to reality by Becky's voice.

"No! You can't!" The younger was obviously mad, but why? She thought to herself.

Ugh. Whatever! It just can't be. Richie can't like Freen and vice versa. She didn't know why she hated the idea but she just can't let them end up with each other. She just can't.

"But why, Bec? Don't you want Freen to be your sister-in-law? She's practically family. If we ended up together, you can be real sisters."

Sisters? What sisters? She didn't like the sound of it. She doesn't want to be Freen's sister, and that's final!

"No! I don't want her to be my sister. I don't want anything to change among us 3. I want us to stay the same as what we are from the start. So, don't date her."

Richie looked like he wasn't convinced by what she said so Becky had to come up with a better excuse. This made her say something she knows she shouldn't.

"And one more thing, you can't like her because she's an intersex. She also has a genitalia like yours. Don't you think it's disgusting?" She asked with a smirk. She knows she shouldn't have sprouted Freen's secret, but she thought she had no choice, and she wouldn't know anyway. Or so she thought.

Because when she heard her brother call the girl's name, while looking behind her, she knew she was doomed. Freen clearly heard what she said. She heard her say that she's disgusting. Though she didn't mean it, she couldn't possibly take back what she said any longer.

Richie ran after the crying girl to apologize while she remained inside the boy's room.

Freen started to avoid her for weeks after that, purely hanging out with her brother. Becky on the other hand didn't even try to aplogize because she was ashamed of herself.

As time went by, she eventually got mad too, thinking how her best friend abandoned her and that she might already be dating her brother. That's when it started. That's when she started to torture her by being mean to her, because she thought that was the only way to get her attention back. But even if Freen already tried to "apologize" to her, even if she was clearly the one at fault, she didn't stop giving her a hard time and bullying her. That was one of her biggest regrets in life.