[42]

FREYA AND STEVE SMILES BRIGHTLY at the sound of their little boy laughing happily

FREYA AND STEVE SMILES BRIGHTLY at the sound of their little boy laughing happily. Friggie and Joey are happily asleep with Pepper and Happy in Stark's cabin and Jamie's playing with Morgan in the living room.

''It's not going to be long, Jamie.'' The Goddess smiles in the phone.

''Okay!'' He giggles. ''When will you be back?'' The little, blonde boy asks.

''As soon as possible.'' Steve replies, the phone on speaker at both ends.

Neither of them have the heart to tell
James about Natasha.

A muffled laugh runs through the phone and a few happy shrieks.

''James and Morgan just ran outside.'' Pepper chuckles as she stands up and holds the phone to her ear.

''Thank you so much again, Pepper.'' Freya says, her finger entwined with Steve's.

''It's not a problem, really. It's nice for Morgan to have a friend her age.'' She replies.

''How's everything over there? I still can't believe you went back in time. I don't know what I'm supposed to think.'' Pepper nervously says, the whole thing doesn't exactly sit right with her.

''Fine. Your husband's a genius.'' Rogers chuckles, running his fingers over Freya's hand.

''That I did know.'' She smiles.

The news op Natasha really shook her. It wasn't long the two last saw each other, during lunch last week they talked a lot.

''Be careful, okay?'' Pepper whispers.

''We will.''

When they hang up, Freya falls back on the bed with a deep sigh. Steve lies down beside her.

''It'll be okay, doll. Tony, Bruce and Rocket are working on making the glove. Some just has to snap and then this is all over. Then we'll see everyone again.''

The two can't help but smile at the thought of seeing Bucky and Sam and Wanda and everybody else again.

''Promise me you won't volunteer to do it.'' Freya whispers, turning her head towards him.

Steve keeps his eyes on the ceiling as he swallows.

''Steve,'' she's sternly says, grabbing his cheek and turning his head towards her.

''Promise me.''

His eyes scan her entire face, they fall upon her eyes and he sees the pure desperation in them.

''I promise.'' He whispers.

The two lay in silence for a while, her head against his arms. 

''Can you do something for me?'' Freya finally asks.

''Anything.'' He replies.

''If something goes wrong. If we end up in battle anyways. Can you choose yourself?''