7

The family walked inside the Garrison, everyone singing inside. Once the men saw them, they turned away, stopping.

The barmaid continued. Delilah glared at her.

Tommy watched in awe. "We haven't had singing in here since the war" Harry said. "Why do you think that is Harry?" Tommy asked.

The barmaid bit her lip. Francis' eyes searched the woman who was stood at the opposite end of the room. She was going to be a problem.

-

"What the fuck happened to you?" Ron asked as Delilah walked into their home where Luke and Reggie sat.

Lilah looked down. "Business" she whispered.

"Ere, let me av a look" Reggie said, tilting her face to look at him. He examined her face, staring at the bruise. "Who did it?" Luke asked.

"That new fucking copper" she whispered, looking the boy in the eye.

"Oh yea, i heard about him" Ron nodded, his accent thick.

The Smith boys had cockney accents, Ron had a strong one. But they lived in Birmingham, their family was from London.

"Got Arthur as well" she told them, pressing her finger against a cut on her lip. "Proper fucked him up"

"Your okay though?" Reggie asked. Delilah nodded, crossing her arms. "Did you hear Danny stabbed a man outside that bakery?" Luke asked, sipping his drink.

"Danny Whizz Bang?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "Yep"

"The Italians want him dead, everyone's talking about it"

"Poor Danny" Reggie whispered. "You seem upset, whats up?" he asked.

Lilah let out a breath.

"Theres something up with me mum,"

"Whats wrong with her?"

"Thats the thing, i dont know. She just doesnt seem..happy. Its probably nothing," she rambled.

-

Delilah picked up the opened letter that had fell under the table, scanning over the words. Her eyes widened as she read. She knew that Ada and Freddie Thorne were sneaking around with each other, but Ada was pregnant? And nobody told her?

She shook her head, knowing there was nothing she could say or do so she returned to reading her book.

Tommy walked through the dark streets of Small Heath as snow fell, he walked around past the Garrison, locking eyes with the blonde barmaid who stood outside it.

He lit a cigarette, watching as she stepped back inside the pub.

He wasted no time before he aggressively walked back into the house on Watery lane.

"Where've you been?" Delilah asked, not looking up from her book. "Is that mine?" he asked, pointed at the book with the black cover. "Yeah" she whispered, "i er..ran out of things to read so i borrowed one of yours" she said quietly.

He snatched it from his hand. "Don't go in my room without permission" he said coldly.

"And what is it with you hanging about the Smith brothers, eh?" he asked, putting out his cigarette. "What?" she asked.

"Eh?" Tommy raised his voice at the girls tone. "I said what is it with you hanging about them fucking Smith brothers" he repeated, leaning over the table.

Delilah swallowed hard, slightly scared by his behaviour.

"They're nice to me" she said, avoiding his gaze. "They're cockneys, that's what they are" He hissed, lighting another cigarette.

"So?" she asked, turning to look him in the eye. "They're nice boys, i swear" Delilah argued. "Nice boys my arse" he whispered. "What the fuck is up with you lately" Lilah stood to her feet, slamming the book on the table.

He raised his eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"You're being so miserable lately, acting nothing like my dad." She insulted. He licked his lips. "Damn them for what they did to you in France" Delilah said, her eyes going glossy.

"You can keep your fucking book" she said, walking away.

"Lilah," He sighed. She ignored him. "Delilah" he shouted.

Lilah stopped and turned around. "What. Fucking what" she asked. "You watch your tone with me," he warned, pointing at her.

"I do apologise" she said sarcastically, squinting. "I'm sorry that i fucking miss who you used to be" Delilah shouted, pointing her finger at him. "I'm sorry that you don't like being my dad,"

She turned and walked up the stairs.

Tommy frowned, holding the bridge of his nose.

"Delilah Shelby get back down these stairs" he shouted. The girl stopped at the top and tugged at her hair in anger. "Delilah" he shouted.

"Oh my god, what? Dad,"

His face softened at the mention.

He swallowed hard. Tommy remained silence. "Are you going to apologise or are you..oh wait, you never apologise, do you?" she hissed, walking down the hall.

Tommy hated how much him and his daughter had drifted since they had gotten back from war. It was his fault but he was just too stubborn to admit it.