76

1933
Act five/ season 6

Tommy sat inside the bar in Miquelon,  a cup of water in front of him.

"Maybe you should take your water into the hall" the barman suggested. Tommy ignored him.

"Another bottle of whiskey" A man said in French, looking at Tommy.

"You work for the whiskey company, right?" he asked the two. Tommy placed a business card in front of him. "I'm here on private business" he said.

The man picked up the card, using his lighter to burn it. "Where did you learn french?" he asked Tommy.

"In France, yeah i learned a lot of things in France."

"Island is crawling with you fucking commissary men, closing our warehouses down" The man hissed, throwing the card into the ashtray. "Throwing men out of work"

"Jean-Claude leave the man alone" The barman spoke.

"Ten years our boat ran whiskey down the president roads to Boston. Now we have fucking nothing"

"And you sit in front of us and order fucking water, is that meant to be a joke" he asked.

The man bit his tongue.

"No, i ordered water because i no longer drink alcohol of any kind." Tommy corrected.

"Jean-Claude, please. Leave it alone"

"You my friend, are going to drink s toast. You will raise your glass to the poor people of Miquelon whose lives you bastards have destroyed. Drink it" he poured out the water in Tommys glass and poured whiskey into it.

"Drink. You're not leaving this bar until you have raised a toast"

"Okay" Tommy sighed, putting out his cigarette. "Okay, i understand that today of all days you would be angry. But if you had read my card instead of burning it, you would realise this is a misunderstanding. Now i've been very patient given the circumstances but you need to sit down and let me read my newspaper"

He scoffed. "He's a good one, isn't he" he said in French. He smashed the glass and Tommy stood, slashing his face with a knife. A man charged at Tommy and he pulled a gun from his pocket.

"Before this goes any further please let me explain, I will not drink your toast because four years ago i forswore alcohol"

"Fuck" the man hissed, standing, grabbing a piece of broken glass.

"No, don't" he said, pointing and shooting the clock on the wall.

"Since i forswore alcohol, i've become a calmer and more peaceful person." he shrugged. "Sometimes in moments of personal conflict, i can resort to my old ways"

"If this were to happen now, it would indeed be a black day in Miquelon. Now my guests will be arriving shortly, need to prepare the room, show me where?"

They followed the woman into room.

-

"They think we're distillery men here to take our whiskey back" One of Michael's men said when the others ignored them. "We're late, he's always early let's go"