10

Delilah had stormed through the house, anger  flowing through her. "Whats up, Lilah?" Francis asked, sitting beside the fire. "Did you know dad took that barmaid to the races today?" Lilah asked.

Francis' heart dropped. She looked at the flames. "Where is he now?" she asked the girl. "He's over at the Garrison, celebrating"

Francis took a deep breath and grabbed her coat. "Come if you like, or you can stay here" she said quietly, opening the door. Delilah shook her head, grabbing her own coat and following her mother up Garrison Lane.

"Wheres Tommy" Francis asked Polly who stood at the bar. "In the snug, is everything okay?" she asked.

Francis ignored her. The pair stormed into the small room.

"Francis" Arthur smiled, "you two dont look very happy.." he trailed off. "The barmaid, Tommy, really?" Francis asked, both angry and upset.

Tommy's shoulder dropped. "Francis"

"No dont talk" her voice grew louder, her eyes glossy. "Did you two know about this?" she looked at the other Shelby boys. John shook his head. "Youre my husband, Thomas." Francis whispered, her voice shaky.

"Delilah, why dont we go get a drink" John pushed her away from the snug, Arthur following.

"Francis, i can explain"

"Tommy, for once you shouldnt have to explain" she shouted. "You went behind my back, behind Lilah's back. And took that fucking whore to the races"

Tommy had never seen her so angry or upset. "It was for business, Francis" he shouted back. "business?" she scoffed. "Yes, business, I needed a woman on my arm for Kimber" he said angrily, smashing his fist onto the table.

"If it was business, Tommy, why didnt you tell me?"

He remained silent. "Is there something going on between you and that barmaid, Tommy? If there is, i want you to tell me right now"

He stared at the floor. Francis nodded and walked out.

John watched her carefully, feeling angry toward his brother for what he did. "Francis" John walked after her, leaving Delilah. She stopped, turning to him, tears rolling down her face. "Come here, come on, come here," he whispered, pulling her into a hug.

-

Francis sat in her bed alone, looking out at the dark sky. Her eyes went to the door as Tommy walked in. She looked away. "Francis" he began. She ignored him. "Francis" he repeated.

He sat at the end of the bed, placing a hand on her knee.

"There is nothing going on between me and Grace" Francis scoffed. "Why was it so hard for you to say that when asked you"

"Francis, stop" he whispered. He cupped her face. "I took Grace because i didnt want to put you in danger" he whispered. "Its you, Franny, only you"

-

Delilah glanced out the window of the betting den at the van across the road that had been parked there since early morning.

"It's a good day" Polly said. "Where's John" Tommy asked. "Johns in the Garrison, he says he wants a meeting about a family matter"