31

My name is Thomas Shelby, and today i'm going to kill a man. Today is Derby day and the murder will take place this afternoon at the Epsom races. It may be that i'm able to escape after the killing, the odds are not good. Which is why i'm writing this letter, i've been forced by agents of the crown to carry out this murder. And in the event of my own death i want the following facts to be known: My family are innocent of any involvement,

-

"Who are we?" John shouted at the peaky blinder boys. "The small heath rifles" they shouted back. John grinned, ruffling his younger brother hair and following them outside.

"Took your fucking time" Delilah rolled her eyes as John finally walked out of the house.

-

And whilst some of them maybe guilty of other things, i've not shared details of this mission with any of them and how company assets were used. Agents of the crown have joined forces with pro-treats Fenians to arrange this murder. I believe the government intent to falsely blame the anti-treaty IRA. Therefore, the bullet i fire this afternoon, will be the starting gun for civil war in Ireland. The man i've been instructed to kill is Field Marshal Russel, formerly a Black and Tan commander who committed many atrocities in the county of Cork. There is no remorse in my heart at the prospect of his death. However the conspiracy behind the killing is cause for international concern. Such as the gravity of my secret mission, that after i've served my priories i believe they intent to kill me.

"Do you want tea?" Ada asked Tommy. No answer.

I therefore want to name a particular individual in this letter, the agent who initiated and orchestrated this crime is Major Chester Campbell of the British Secret Intelligence Service. He chose me for this dirty business as an act of vengeance, prompted by hatred of longstanding. In the event of my death, it is imperative he be brought to justice. If you're reading this then i'm dead already. I hope that living as you do in a truly free country you'll be able to make the above facts known to the world.

Yours sincerely, Thomas Shelby

Ada placed a cup of tea in front of him. "I did you one anyway you ignorant git" she teased. "Ada" he stopped her. "Sit down here for a minute" She frowned, doing as he said.

"Ada, if anything happens to me today; i need you to post this letter, stamps already on" he placed it in front of her.

"Don't ask any questions it's to do with insurance" he lied.

She nodded slowly. "Look, Tommy? Whatever it is your involved in just tell us. God you never let anybody in"

"We love you, Tom"

Her head turned to the door as James rushed in. "What are you doing up at six in the morning" she asked.

Tommy stood. "Ready?"

"What the bloody bell is going on" she asked. "Little errand" James said, pulling his coat on.

"What errand"

"He just has to stand there Ada" Tom said. "Stand where. James what's going on"

She watched them walk away. "Don't listen to him james he'll get you killed"